Indigenous Peoples of West Virginia
|West Virginia Wiki Topics|
|West Virginia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
To learn how to get started with Native American research, find research facilities, and Native American websites click here.
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- County and Town Histories with biographies
- Men of West Virginia ... v. 1, Vol. 2, e-book
- 1915 hand-book of West Virginia : the state's wonderful development, its natural resources and industrial advantages, biographies of prominent citizens and stories of leading business institutions, e-book
- An inside view of the formation of the state of West Virginia. With character sketches of the pioneers in that movement, e-book
Tribes and Bands of West Virginia[edit | edit source]
- Cherokee -- Mostly associated with North Carolina and points south and west.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
For Further Reading[edit | edit source]
See also American Indian For Further Reading.
- FamilySearch Catalog Places search United States, West Virginia - Native races for titles of interest
- Indigenous Peoples of Virginia Wiki page
- Virginia Military Records Wiki page for a list of forts
- Gilbert, William Harlen, Jr. Surviving Indian Groups in the Eastern United States. Pp. 407-438 of the Smithsonian Report for 1948. Available online.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.