Helpful International Websites
Many informative websites for international family history research are found on the Internet. Depending on the country, they may include research instructions, reference material, indexes to church-, civil-, and other records, document images, and transcriptions. This article provides a small selection of useful websites. Interested visitors may be able to obtain more information on the FamilySearch Wiki at the respective reference counter in the Family History Library. For European and Hispanic visitors the new FamilySearch site may be helpful. For many countries new names have been added that have never been online before. Go to FamilySearch.org and click on “Advanced search“to access better search functions for names. Record Collections for different countries are found under the tab “all collections”. Online family history courses for various countries are available on FamilySearch.org. To access, go to FamilySearch.org , click on “learn” [top left], the on “research courses”.
General information[edit | edit source]
- Website addresses change frequently. If an address no longer works, use a search engine to locate the site at a different address, if possible.
- Foreign-language sites can be navigated more easily with Google translate. Type “translate.google.com” in your Internet browser, then choose the “translate from/ to languages. If you paste the foreign site’s Web address in the “translate” field and click “enter”, the site will come up translated. You can also copy text from the site and paste it in the “translate” window. Google Chrome detects non-English language Websites and asks if you would like a translation.
NOTE: It is not a good idea to use electronic translators for correspondence, such as a request for information. In those cases it’s best to find someone who can help you write a letter, or to write the request in simple English.
- A good starting point for any country or family history topic is Cyndi's List
WESTERN AND SOUTHERN EUROPE[edit | edit source]
Austria[edit | edit source]
- Rootsweb - Austrian GenWeb arranged by ancient Crown land
- Genteam – various indexes for Vienna and surrounding area, and a gazetteer for modern-day Austria plus Bohemia and Moravia. Requires free registration and a user-name and password.
- Friedhoefewien - Index to cemeteries in Vienna
Belgium[edit | edit source]
- Geneaknowhow portal to digital resources for Belgium and the Netherlands. Click on “digital resources”.
France[edit | edit source]
- geneanet.org - You can search this database by name and town.
- francegenweb.org – Click on a department to get the link to the on-line archive. Each department works differently. Departments with online archives are coded in blue. Not all have online archives
- francegenweb.org - Portal to French genealogy websites
- geopatronyme.com - All about French surnames and surname distribution
- geneafrance.org – provides information about different record types, research information, how to order certificates.
Germany[edit | edit source]
- Genealogy.net – in German: genealogienetz , Internet portal for German research (both links open the home page. (For the English-language home page, use genealogy) This Web site includes a Wiki, digital library of genealogical resources, several databases, and close to 300 online town genealogies.
- adressbuch - Berlin address book from 1799-1943 available with images.
- kartenmeister.com - Tools for genealogy east of the Oder-Neisse river
Italy[edit | edit source]
- Lancione-laura - Italian genealogy links, surname boards and more.
- Sersale.org (transcribed vital records of Italian towns - This list is specifically composed of websites or email addresses that represent the transcription of hundreds or thousands of records; birth records, marriage records, death and baptisms all over Italy. Occasionally, digital images are provided. A great website!)
- Italia.indettaglio (Italian surname search engine. For each province all of the towns will be listed where the surname occurs, ordered via a numerical value representing the estimate of the number of individuals having the requested surname.)
- Operaduomo (Scanned images of baptisms from Florence from 1482-1900 – just for fun)
Luxembourg[edit | edit source]
The Netherlands[edit | edit source]
- WieWasWie nationwide indexes to civil registration records.
- FamilySearch.org - Images of civil registration records for some areas
- cbg.nl - Central Bureau for Genealogy
- Archiefnet.nl portal to city-, state-, and other archives
- Gemeentearchief.rotterdam.nl – Rotterdam City Archive digital pedigree- look for “genealogy” or “stamboom”.
Many other provincial or city archives have put indexes and records online. Check the Archiefnet.nl website for archive addresses of interest.
Spain[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch.org - Access images of Roman Catholic church records and municipal records (civil births, marriages, deaths) for several provinces
Switzerland[edit | edit source]
- Eye.ch - Swiss Family History on the Internet, with links to many other helpful Websites; multi-lingual
- Ghgrb.ch - index to genealogies compiled by Julius Billeter [note: Billeter’s compilations have all been filmed and are available at the Library. Check the surname in the FamilySearch Catalog for film numbers.
- Swissgenealogie.ch - Swiss genealogy on the Internet
- Svjg.org - Swiss Society for Jewish genealogy
EASTERN EUROPE[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
All church records are housed in the state archives. Check the gazetteer available on Genteam.at (see: “Austria”) to learn which archive has the records for your town of interest. Several archives have been putting their church records on the Internet. The easiest way to access these collections is to go to the FamilySearch Wiki(just type in “wiki.familysearch.org” and it comes up); enter “Czech” in the search box and the click on the link to the Czech portal page. Links to online databases are listed under “research tools”.
Other helpful links include:
- Cgsi.org - Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International
- Genealogienetz. - genealogy in the Sudetenland [German], has a list of towns and parishes with a parish register inventory
- Nacr.cz - Czech State Archives website [has English interface]
- Shon - Czech Research Outline
Hungary[edit | edit source]
- Hungary GenWeb project links
Poland[edit | edit source]
- Moikrewni.pl - surname maps for Poland
- Bindweed.man.poznan.pl - Poznan marriage project; indexes marriages found in Lutheran and Catholic church records of Poznan region (1820-1889); bindweed.man.poznan.pl has links to similar projects for Przodkowie, Pomorze, and Geneteka
- FamilySearch Research Wiki - go to “learn” then “research courses”, then click on Poland (right side) videos explaining research in Poland (in English)
- Polish Genealogy Group - find addresses of civil registration offices
- Baza.archiwa.gov.pl – database of church records held in state archives
- Baza.archiwa.gov.pl – inventory of state archive holdings by record collection
- Halgal.com - genealogy of Halychyna and Eastern Galicia
- galizien-online.de history and genealogy of Galicia, with some databases
Latvia[edit | edit source]
- roots-saknes.lv - resources and links for genealogy in Latvia from 1800 to 1950
- Raduraksti – Latvian records online, free registration required. It contains the 1807 Census, church records of various denominations, revision lists ; Interfaces in several languages
Lithuania[edit | edit source]
- Lithuaniangenealogy.org – Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society; site includes approximately 75 databases with over 45,000 names
- Hepaveldas.lt/vbspi/ - links to “digital cultural heritage”, includes some parish registers
Estonia[edit | edit source]
- Genealoogia.ee - Genealogical Society of Estonia, English available
- Rahvusarhiiv - links to digitized Church records; in Estonian
Belarus, Russia, Ukraine[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch.org - Go to “learn” then “research courses”, and choose “Russia research” for video classes explaining research in Russia (in English)
- iisg.nl - National and provincial archives
- Rootsweb.ancestry.com - Russia GenWeb; includes links to some informative pages
- lemko.org/genealogy - Index to Greek Catholic localities in L'viv Consistory (many records available on microfilm)
Romania[edit | edit source]
- Genealogylinks.net Romania Genealogy links ( many Jewish sources)
- Genealogienetz.de genealogy in Siebenbürgen (many German settlements in that area)
Serbia[edit | edit source]
- Srdjevdan.org - first Serbian website dedicated to family history of the Western Balkans
- rodoslovlje.com - website of the Serbian Genealogical Society
- Poreklo.rs - website of the Society of Serbian Genealogists
Germans from Russia and Volhynia[edit | edit source]
- ahsgr.org - American Historical society of Germans from Russia (original focus on Volga Germans)
- cvgs.cu-portland.edu - The Center for Volga German Studies at Concordia University
- odessa3.org - a lot of resources, including indexes, extracts, history, gazetteers etc.
- grhs.org - Germans from Russia Heritage Society (original focus on Black Sea Germans
- wolhynien.de –German settlements in Volhynia
- sggee.org - Society for German Research in Eastern Europe, has links to parish lists, histories, photos, various research helps
SCANDINAVIA[edit | edit source]
Denmark[edit | edit source]
- Dddd.dda.dk - Danish Demographic Database. This website is used primarily for the census database. Genealogical information is being extracted from the Danish censuses. The information can be searched in English and for free.
- arkivalieronline.dk - Danish Church Records on the Internet. At this site you can access digitized images of the parish books.
- sa.dk - The National Archive homepage contains links to the regional archives around Denmark. The site also offers research tools such as gothic handwriting examples.
- sognetraef.dk - Sognetræf. At this site you can connect with other people who are researching in the same parish that your ancestors came from. It a great site to post queries.
[edit | edit source]
SVAR. Digitized images of the Swedish Lutheran Church Records online. Subscription, except for patrons at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, where it is available at each computer station.
- arkivdigital.se - another subscription site for Swedish records
Norway[edit | edit source]
- Digitalarkivet.uib.no - Norway Digital Archives – includes census-, church, probate-, and various military records. Growing collection.
- RHD.uit.no/indexeng.html - Norwegian Historical Data Centre; includes census records and more
Finland[edit | edit source]
- Ggenealogia.fi - Genealogical Society of Finland, English
- HisKi.genealogia.fi - Parish records extractions
- http://www.migrationinstitute.fi - Institute of Migration, emigration records extractions, has English interface
- Digiarkisto.org - This can be viewed in English. Incomplete, but slowly growing.
Iceland[edit | edit source]
islendingabok.is - Iceland genealogy site
HISPANIC GENEALOGY (see also SPAIN)[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- hispanicgenealogy.com -portal for genealogy in many different countries
- genealogia-es.com - Hispanic GenWeb in Spanish with links to various countries
- lanic.utexas.edu -links to genealogy resources by topic and country (some links don’t work)
- apellidositalianos.com#Argentina – genealogy links sorted by country; includes some pedigrees. Some links don’t work. There are links for various European countries and ethnic groups as well.
Argentina[edit | edit source]
- Genargentina.com - general information and links to records and databases, including immigration
Brazil[edit | edit source]
- Family Search.org/ Millions of church records are available on FamilySearch with searchable index and browsable images
- Brazil Websites - links for genealogical research in Brazil, including archive addresses
Chile[edit | edit source]
- CEC.uchile.#Buscadores links for family history research in Chile [note: the “more direct link” listed on the page does not work
Cuba[edit | edit source]
Mexico[edit | edit source]
- Mexican Genealogy Family History introduction with links
- Introduction to family history research in Mexico
- Genealogia includes links to FamilySearch RecordSearch baptisms, marriages, and deaths, and the 1930 Census for Mexico
PACIFIC ISLANDS[edit | edit source]
- Pacific Island Guide to Family History Research - research guide
Samoa[edit | edit source]
Tonga[edit | edit source]
- Tonga customs and research ideas - discusses records and strategies for research in Tonga.
OTHER COUNTRIES AND ETHNIC GROUPS[edit | edit source]
Asia [edit | edit source]
- Links to genealogy websites in various Asian countries, India, the Philippines, and the West Indies
China[edit | edit source]
- Links to Websites dealing with various aspects of Chinese history and genealogy
- Introduction to Chinese genealogical records
Japan[edit | edit source]
- Rootsweb.ancestry explains how to use and get family papers called koseki
- Listing of Japanese embassies, needed to get koseki
- Information about Japanese Internment camps during WWII
- The Japanese American Legacy Project
- Japan GenWeb
India[edit | edit source]
- Families in British India research organization
- British Library India Office Family History Research includes links to 300,000 births, marriages, deaths in India Office records – bias towards Britons and Europeans
Indonesia[edit | edit source]
- Roosje Roos, a data base of civil registration records
Caribbean[edit | edit source]
- Genealogical resources by country
- Information about the Dutch East India Company and Dutch emigrants overseas
Jewish[edit | edit source]
- Research guidance, various data bases, links to many other Jewish resources worldwide
- Archive data base showing Jewish records that exist for Poland, the Ukraine, and Moldova, searchable by town, gives location and archive addresses
- Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People Jerusalem (CAHJEP) – has lots of records not available elsewhere [especially for German Jews]
- Jewish Records Indexing – Poland
- Cercle Genealogique Juive (French Jewish Genealogical Society)
South Africa[edit | edit source]
South African Family Tree- over 4,000 compiled families
Wiki articles describing an online collection is found at:
- World Miscellaneous Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
- World Miscellaneous Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
- World Miscellaneous Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records