California, Oakland, Alameda County, Newspaper Record Collection - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
California, Oakland, Alameda County, Newspaper Record Collection, 1985-2011
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Oakland, Alameda, California, |
|Flag of California|
|Location of Oakland, Alameda County, California|
|Location of California|
|Oakland Family History Center, Alameda|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of a card file index created from local newspapers and includes obituaries, wedding announcements, anniversaries, and birth announcements. The obituaries are mixed with biographical news stories. Some obituaries are included from the Los Angeles Times and Orange County Register of persons who were natives of Oakland or the Bay Area and died in southern California. The card files for 1985-2002, 2003-2006 and 1986-2011 are located at the Oakland Family History Center.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for California, Oakland, Alameda County, Obituary Card Files, 1985-2011.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of any event
- The names of other relatives
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Date Range and Name Range to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the record to locate the death record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you research your family in the state of California.
- California Guided Research
- California Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1905-Present
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Alameda County, Oakland, obituaries, 1985-2011
- Los Angeles County, obituaries, 1999-2011
- Oakland Family History Center newspaper record collection, 1980-2011
- Alameda County. Superior Court. Probate files, 1880-1961
- Alameda County. Births 1873-1901, deaths 1859-1903, mortuary record 1873-1891, land patents 1857-1892, delayed birth index 1875-1971, marriages 1853-1866
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- California Cemetery Transcriptions, 1850-1960
- California, County Birth and Death Records, 1800-1994
- California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.