California, County Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of California|
|Location of California|
|Multiple county courthouses|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of an index of county marriages acquired from local courthouses for the years 1850 to 1952. Coverage years will vary by county.
The county marriage records consist of a number of different type of documents including, licenses, certificates, registers, applications, affidavits, and stubs. These records are often in bound volumes but may also have some loose papers.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for California, County Marriages, 1850-1952.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the groom
- Name of the bride, often including the maiden name of the bride
- Names of the officiator and witnesses
- Names of the parents or guardians of the bride and groom
- Date of the marriage
- Birthplaces of the bride and groom
- Residences of the bride and groom
- Age and races of the bride and groom
- Marital status of the bride and groom
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
This table shows the number of record in this collection for each county. To search a specific county click the link in the Search column.
|Contra Costa||0||Search Contra Costa|
|Del Norte||943||Search Del Norte|
|El Dorado||25,608||Search El Dorado|
|Los Angeles||1,313,025||Search Los Angeles|
|San Benito||11,381||Search San Benito|
|San Bernardino||29,264||Search San Bernardino|
|San Diego||0||Search San Diego|
|San Francisco||52,480||Search San Francisco|
|San Joaquin||52,014||Search San Joaquin|
|San Luis Obispo||5,316||Search San Luis Obispo|
|San Mateo||0||Search San Mateo|
|Santa Barbara||19,935||Search Santa Barbara|
|Santa Clara||47,227||Search Santa Clara|
|Santa Cruz||5,154||Search Santa Cruz|
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. These collections do not include any human-readable waypoint data making them difficult to use. A table showing each DGS number and its contents can be found in California, County Marriages Digital Folder Number List. The list can be sorted by DGS number, GS number, author, title, and county.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of the marriage
- The place where the marriage occurred
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the California, County Marriages Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at California, County Marriages, 1850-1952. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
What Do I Do Next[edit | edit source]
If these are indexes, the original records may contain additional information than was not indexed, or the information might have been indexed incorrectly. You may want to search for the original record.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in the census records
- Use the information found in the record to find probate records
- If applicable, search for immigration and naturalization records as well
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of California.
- United States, How to Use Marriage Records
- California Guided Research
- California Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1905-Present
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- prepared by the Northern California Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, W.P.A. Guide to public vital statistics records in California. San Francisco, California : Northern California Historical Records Survey, 1941.
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
- California Marriages, 1850-1945
- California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.