Blaine County, Idaho Genealogy
Guide to Blaine County, Idaho ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Blaine County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho, United States Genealogy
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1895|
|Address||Blaine County Courthouse|
206 First Avenue South,
Hailey, Idaho 83333
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county was named for James G. Blaine, U.S. Secretary of State. The County Seat is Hailey and was founded March 5, 1895. It is located in the south central area of the state.
Blaine County, Idaho Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
30 January 1913: Power County created from parts of Bingham, Blaine, and Oneida Counties
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Resources[edit | edit source]
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Blaine County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Blaine County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Blaine County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Hailey. 
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
There are many cemeteries in Blaine County. For a list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Blaine County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
For the cemeteries in or immediately adjacent to the cities, please see the city pages for the cities listed above.
Census[edit | edit source]
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
Church History and Records[edit | edit source]
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)[edit | edit source]
In 1930, Blaine County was part of Blaine Stake.
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in Blaine County, Idaho prior to 1950.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
County Commissioners' Records[edit | edit source]
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability.
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the early court records of Blaine County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the Blaine County courthouse in Hailey, Idaho, and can be accessed by making a visit there. Some of the Blaine County court records that have been microfilmed are:
- Court records, 1875-1882
- Power of attorney, 1865-1921; index, 1865-1896
Judgment Books[edit | edit source]
- Judgments, 1865-1866; dockets, 1865-1872; index, 1865-1914
(Includes divorces, probate documents, civil and criminal actions and many other court actions.)
Miscellaneous records are outlined in the Miscellaneous Series below.
History[edit | edit source]
A brief history of Blaine County is available online.
Online County Histories
- History of Alturas and Blaine Counties, Idaho. c1950. By George A. McLeod. Hailey, Idaho : Hailey Times. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library; At various libraries(WorldCat).
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Blaine County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Hailey, Idaho.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed many county records of Blaine County and these can be accessed by visiting the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed some Blaine County records pertaining to land and property. The following can be viewed in the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers:
- Declaration of homesteads, 1881-1885; index, 1881-1884
- Deeds, 1863-1926; index, 1863-1883; bonds for deeds, 1865-1889
- Miscellaneous mining and land and property records, 1863-1889
- Separate property of married women, 1887-1920
Maps[edit | edit source]
- An 1895 map of Blaine and surrounding counties is available online.
- A digital Blaine County Idaho map is available online.
- FamilySearch Places: Map of cities and towns in this county - How to Use FS Places
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
World War I draft registration cards, 1917-1918, for Blaine County have been microfilmed. Copies of these records are available at the Family History Library (their microfilm number 1452109) and are also available online at Ancestry.com, for a subscription fee. The original cards are maintained in the Southeast Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in East Point, Georgia and have been microfilmed by the National Archives as their Microcopy M1509.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Idaho, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Miscellaneous Series[edit | edit source]
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere.
The Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, does not appear to have microfilmed copies of the Miscellaneous Series of Blaine County, though the copy which the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has, noted that the records can be found in the Idaho State Archives. One can check with the Blaine County courthouse in Hailey where current and perhaps original copies should be found. Those copies held by the Family History Library can be viewed either at the Library in Salt Lake City or at any of its Family History Centers.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
Current[edit | edit source]
Historical[edit | edit source]
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed early newspapers from Bellevue, Hailey, Ketchum and Sun Valley in Blaine County. These can be accessed in the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Pension Records[edit | edit source]
The following record has been microfilmed and and indexed , and the index is available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho and online. The Blaine County Mother's Pension records are among those indexed. The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, has a microfilm copy of these records which can be viewed at the Library or in any of the Library's Family History Centers.
The original should be in the Blaine County Courthouse in Hailey, Idaho and can be viewed there.
- Mother's pension records, 1913-1932 Idaho. Probate Court (Blaine County) \
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
The existing original probate records of Blaine County should be housed in the county courthouse which is located in Hailey, Idaho. Records can be accessed by visiting the courthouse.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed many of the earlier Blaine County records, and these can be accessed at the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, also has some Blaine County probate records on microfilm, and the following can be viewed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers:
Online Probate Indexes and Records
- 1857 – 1989 Idaho Wills and Probate Records 1857-1989 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Bonds and letters of administration, 1883-1928
- Wills, 1883-1962
- Records from Logan County relating to Blaine County (Originals at the Idaho State Archives)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Any existing tax assessment rolls for Blaine County should be in the courthouse in Hailey and would need to be accessed by visiting there.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed the Poll Books of Blaine, Lincoln and Alturas counties and these films can be viewed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
The Birth Registers for Blaine County, 1907-1911, have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Blaine County are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under the subject Idaho for more details.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has made 1315 births in Idaho Births and Christenings, 1856-1965 Blaine County available online.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Nearly 1700 marriages, 1890-1941, are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
The death registers for Blaine County, 1907-1911 have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, the BYU-Idaho Library in Rexburg and at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City, Utah.
After 1911, deaths occurring in Blaine County are included in the state-wide registration program. These records are restricted for a period of fifty years from the time of the individual's death but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under Idaho for details.
Copies of death certificates from 1911-1954 are on microfilm and can be used at the Idaho State Archives, the Family History Library, BYU-Idaho University Library in Rexburg and several other locations.
A state-wide index to Idaho Deaths, 1911-1956 is BYUI Special Collections. Efforts to expand this index to 1960 are underway. Another version is the US GenWeb Idaho Death Index 1911-1956.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has made available online 247 Idaho Deaths and Burials, 1907-1965 Blaine County deaths or burials.
Societies, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Bellevue Public Library
115 E Pine
Bellevue, ID 83313
Phone: (208) 788-2128
- Little Wood River District Library
16 Panther Ave
Carey, ID 83320
Phone: (208) 823-4510
- Hailey Public Library
7 W Croy St
Hailey, ID 83333
Phone: (208) 788-2036
- The Community Library
415 Spruce Avenue N
PO Box 2168
Ketchum, Idaho 83340-2168
- Ketchum Sun Valley Historical Society Heritage Ski Museum
180 1st Ave E, Ketchum, ID 83340
- Blaine County Historical Museum
213 North Main Street (physical address)
P.O. Box 124 (mailing address)
Hailey, Idaho 83333
- State Historical Society
2205 Old Penitentiary Rd
- Idaho Historical Society Facebook Page Website
- Idaho State Archives Digital Collections - Enter County in Search Bar
- The Idaho Welsh Society -- excellent cultural and historical site
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Center and Affiliate Library Locator map - search for local Family History Centers or Affiliate Libraries
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
- FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
- American Falls Idaho Family History Center
- Blackfoot Idaho West Family History Center
- Carey Idaho Ward Family History Center
- Fort Hall Idaho Family History Center
- Glenns Ferry Idaho Family History Center
- Hailey Idaho Family History Center
- Moore Idaho Family History Center
- Shoshone Idaho Family History Center
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Blaine County ID GenWeb Project, a member of The IDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Blaine County, Idaho Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
References[edit | edit source]
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Blaine County, Idaho Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/ida/blaine/
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Blaine County, Idaho. Page 177-180 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 180-181.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Blaine, Idaho page 177, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Blaine County, Idaho," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine_County,_Idaho, accessed 26 February 2019.
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03