Barbados Church Directories

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Barbados Wiki Topics
Flag of Barbados.svg.png
Beginning Research
Record Types
Barbados Background
Local Research Resources

Use of Church Directories[edit | edit source]

A church directory lists church ministers, dioceses, and parishes and can provide important information, including:

  • Addresses for church officials.
  • Lists of church jurisdictions and headquarters.
  • Chronological lists of principal church officials.
  • Brief biographies or career summaries of current ministers.
  • Addresses of church schools or other institutions.

Contemporary Listings[edit | edit source]

There are no true church directories compiled for the island of Barbados, however, the following could be useful:

Handbook of churches in the Caribbean: specially prepared for the inaugural assembly of the Caribbean Conference of Churches: by Brathwaite, Joan A., Caribbean Council of Churches (Cadec), 1973, 243pp.

Handbook of Churches in the Caribbean, compiled by Lisa Bessil-Batson, Bridgetown: Cedar Press, 1982, 134pp.

In the 2000 census for Barbados, 95 percent of the population is considered Christian. Of the thousands of churches now in Barbados, 67% of the total population is Protestant, with about 40% being Anglican, 8% Pentecostal, 7% Methodist, and 12% comprised of various other denominations, including Moravian, Seventh-Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptist, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Roman Catholics make up approximately 4% of the populace; 17% claim no religious affiliation; and about 12% profess other faiths, including Islam, Baha'i, Judaism, Hinduism, and Rastafarianism (Nyabinghi school). All their churches should be listed on the Barbados Directory:

For modern church listings use the online telephone directory

It should be noted that over time some churches have changed location. For example, the earliest churchyard on the island (first destroyed by the August 1667 hurricane, which washed away 150 coffins) was Christ Church Parish Church.The original location for this church and its burial ground is actually in the district now known as Dover (adjacent to the house called “Nova Lisboa” in the 1990’s, still in Christ Church) close to the current parish church with the name Christ Church Parish Church. Churches since the 20th century are not listed here.

Churches built before 1900 (by parish)[edit | edit source]

Saint Michael's Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

St. Michael’s parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Michael’s Parish Church St. Michael's Row 1628 1789 427-0790
St. Mary’s Anglican Chapel Lower Broad Street 1827 426-3746
St. Matthew’s Anglican Chapel Hothersal Turning 1829 1832 427-3712
St. Giles’ Chapel Ivy Road 1830 - -
St. Barnabas Chapel Two Mile Hill 1830 1838 429-2608
St. Stephen’s Anglican Chapel Black Rock 1831 1836 424-8435
St. Cyprian’s Anglican Church George Street 1890 1894 436-5027
St. Leonard’s Church St. Leonard’s 1854 1981 426-7358
St. Paul’s Anglican Church Bay Street 1830 1833 426-3106
St. Ambrose Church Cypress Street 1857 - 436-7788
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral Bay Street 1848 1899 -
James Street Methodist Church James Street, Bridgetown - 1848 -

St. Mary’s Church - not the first church, but sits on the oldest consecrated city ground and occupies the site of the first St. Michael’s Church. Its original 104-foot timber chapel, seating 100, was built in 1629 and was the first civic centre hosting the Vestry and, by 1665, a meeting hall, school, and cemetery (1665-1695). A new larger Church was built further east at the opposite end of Bridgetown, St. Michael (and the original timber building was put to other uses and then abandoned). St. Mary’s ‘Old Churchard,’ after 1665, became a burial place for slaves, free blacks and coloureds.

This new St. Michael’s Church was destroyed by the 1780 hurricane, but was immediately rebuilt and elevated to Cathedral status in 1842. This second chapel was built through 1825-1827 by Bishop William Hart Coleridge.

The St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cathedral (designed for Irish soldiers) from 1840 and Bethel Methodist Church (burnt in 1897 but rebuilt shortly afterwards) were both designed by Major Richard Hart.

St. Leonard’s Church churchyard was over-populated by 1875; during this period the curate was Rev. Edward Griffith Sinckler (1823–1881).

Christ Church Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Church-Church parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

Christ-Church Anglican Parish Church Church Road 1629 1837 428-8087
St. Bartholomew’s Chapel Charnock's 1831 1832 428-7129
St. Matthias’ Chapel Hastings 1848 - 429-5733
St. Lawrence Chapel St. Lawrence Gap 1837 - 435-6596
St. David’s Anglican Chapel 1840 - 437-1801
St. Patrick’s Chapel 1843 - 420-1273
Hawthorne Methodist Church Hawthorne,

Rendezvous Hill

- - 435-7117

In the Christ Church Parish Church there are still about four tombs from around 1672 located at the original site of the church. Additionally, the earliest tombstone to survive the flood dates back to 1659 and is now housed in the Barbados Museum.

Saint Philp Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Philip parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Philip Parish Church 1640 1836 423-3780
The Holy Trinity Chapel 1829 1832 423-8480
St. Martin’s Anglican Chapel 1837 1859 416-5319
St. Catherine’s Anglican Chapel 1841 1922 423-4125

Saint John Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint John parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. John Parish Church 1645 1836 433-5599
St. Mark’s Anglican Chapel 1823 1832 423-1376
Society’s Chapel 1822 1833 -
Holy Cross Anglican Church Society Hill 1819 1832 423-0409
St. Margaret's Anglican Church 1862 - 433-5599
Mount Tabor Moravian’s Church Sherbourne 1825 -

Saint Joseph Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Joseph parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Joseph Parish Church Cleaver Hill 1641 1839 deconsecrated 2010
Little St. Joseph’s Chapel Trent Bay 1837 - destroyed


St. Aidan Anglican Church - 1905 433-1228
St. Anne's Church Parris Hill 1854 first burial



Saint Andrew Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Andrew parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Andrew Parish Church Bathsheba 1630 1846 435-9097
St. Simon’s Anglican Chapel 1840 1870 421-7008
St. Saviour's Anglican Church 1846 - 422-9252

St. Simon’s. In 1917, on 6th November, a cemetery was opened and consecrated by the bishop Alfred Berkeley, who served the Anglican diocese of Barbados from 1917 to 1927.

Saint Lucy Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Lucy parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Lucy Parish Church Fairfield 1627 1837 439-8299
St. Clement’s Anglican Chapel Lowlands 1837 1858 439-9255
St. Swithun’s Anglican Chapel Church Hill,


1846 - 439-9255

Saint Peter Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Peter parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Peter Parish Anglican Church Speightstown 1629 1837 422-3599
All Saints’ Anglican Chapel Pleasant Hall 1645 1884 422-6403
St. Philip-the-Less Anglican Church Boscobel 1859 - 439-9255

All Saints' Church survived the slave revolt of 1765 and the hurricanes of 1675 and 1780; in fact, after the hurricane of 1780, only two churches and one chapel were left standing on the island of Barbados: St. Andrew's Parish Church, St. Peter's Parish Church, and All Saints. However, the 11 August 1831 hurricane destroyed the chapel entirely.

Saint James Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint James parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. James Parish Anglican Church Holetown 1629 1874 422-4117
St. Alban’s Anglican Chapel Lower Carlton - 1840 422-2913
St. John the Baptist Church Holders Hill 1867 - 432-1949
St. Silas Anglican Church Waterhall 1847 - 422-2913

Saint Thomas Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint Thomas parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. Thomas Parish Anglican Church 1629 1837 432-5568
Holy Innocents’ Chapel Glebe Land before


1838 -
Sharon Moravia’s mission house Arthurs Seat 1765 - 425-4011
Bunker Hill Moravians

(now called Calvary Church)

Upper Roebuck 1768 destroyed



The Moravians first came to Barbados on 26 September 1765, and established mission houses at Bunker’s Hill (1768), and Sharon (1725), both in the St. Thomas Parish, and Mount Tabor (1825), in St. John. The latter was the first city church (now called Calvary, at upper Roebuck). Their first building was completed 3 May 1835 (just after the Slave Emancipation Act). It was extended nine years later, and rebuilt in 1894.

Saint George Parish Churches[edit | edit source]

Saint George parish: Street 1st Built Rebuilt Phone

(+1 246)

St. George Parish Anglican Church before


1784 436-8794
St. Luke’s Anglican Chapel 1830 1832 429- 2246
St. Jude’s Anglican Chapel 1834 - -
St. Augustine's Anglican Church Market Hill 1863 - 437-5659

The thirteen acres of what would become Westbury Cemetery (on Westbury Road) was purchased in 1870; all Anglican Churchyards in St. Michael were closed and Westbury became the parish cemetery on 1 August 1877, and a ‘public cemetery’ by October 1877. It was consecrated on 1 September 1878. It now extends to the Cholera Ground (1854) on the north-west (on Goodland Plantation), a satellite to St. Mary’s churchyard, meaning some burials listed in St. Mary’s may actually have been interred there.

Clergymen[edit | edit source]

  • Cadbury, Henry J. "Clergymen Licensed to Barbados, 1694-1811," The Journal of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society, Vol. 15, No. 2 (Feb. 1948):62-69. FHL LAT AM 972.981 B2j v. 15 1947-48

References[edit | edit source]

  • Holst, Matthias., "Barbados Almanac", 1785
  • Orderson, Issac Williamson., "Barbados Almanac", 1787
  • Phillips, Tobias., "Barbados Almanac", 1828
  • Springer, "Barbados Almanac", 1842
  • "The Barbados Almanac and Diary", 1870
  • "The Barbados Almanac and Diary", 1877
  • Schomburgk, R. H., “The history of barbados”, 1848, 722pp
  • Hill, Barbara., "Historic Churches of Barbados", 1984, 128pp