Australia Tax Records
|Australia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
South Australia[edit | edit source]
- 1838-1928 South Australia, Australia, Select Tax and Financial Records, 1838-1928 at Ancestry ($), index and images.
Victoria[edit | edit source]
- Australia, Victoria - Taxation at FamilySearch. Links to 20 online records.
- Land Tax Register & Valuation Victoria at Findmypast ($), index.
- Victoria, Australia, Rate Books, 1855-1963 at Ancestry ($), index and images.
- Camberwell and Waverley, Australia, Rate Books, 1857-1927 at Ancestry, index and images, ($)
- Flemington and Kensington Rate Books, 1882-1894 PRO Victoria
- Melbourne Rate Books, 1861-1975 PRO Victoria
- Hotham/North Melbourne Rate Books, 1855-1905 PRO Victoria
- Beechworth Indigo Shire rate books, 1856–1871 PRO Victoria
Western Australia[edit | edit source]
- 1880-1946 Perth, Western Australia, Australia, Rate Books, 1880-1946 at Ancestry, index and images.
- 1893-1940 Rate books, 1893-1940 at FamilySearch, images.
- 1904-1934 Road rate books, 1904-1934 Irwin at FamilySearch, images.
- 1904-1945 Northhampton Road rate books, 1904-1945 at FamilySearch, images.
Taxation Records in Australia[edit | edit source]
Taxation records for Australia consist of rate and assessment books. While not a primary genealogical source, they can serve as a census substitute.
Rate and assessment books have been kept from the late 1850s through the present. They are arranged by districts (shires) and alphabetically list names of the occupiers. Other details found in these books include the name of the owner, residence of the occupier, a description of the property and its value, and the date of payment and the amount paid.
Rate and assessment books in Australia are usually found in district archives and in other local libraries and repositories. The Family History Library has microfilm copies of some of the rare books. These records are also listed in the Place - names search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - TAXATION