The verification usually arrives in a few minutes. Every now and then, it takes 2–3 hours. If it does not arrive soon, here are a few basic things you can check:
- The email comes from www.familysearch.org/register/ and has the subject line of Complete Your FamilySearch Account Registration....
- Check your junk or spam folder. Please search for the terms FamilySearch account, Complete your registration, or both. If you find the email in your junk or spam folder, move it to your primary folder or inbox. Now you can open it and click the activation link. Activation links do not work in a junk or spam folder.
- Check any other email account that you have.
- If you made a mistake entering your email address, simply register again with the correct email address.
- If you created your account more than 48 hours ago, the link in the email is invalid. Simply register again.
- If the registration window is still open, click the button to resend the activation email. Remember to use the most recent verification email, since the links in the other emails are invalid.
If you are able to sign in to your FamilySearch account, please do so. Then select your name in the upper right corner, and select Settings to verify that your recovery option is activated.
You can use your email address, mobile phone number, or both as an account recovery option.
- Email address option:
Below your email address, if it has not been activated, you see: Verify this address. Click the hyperlinked words and read this message:
“Please Check Your Email
"A verification email was sent to [email address here]. Once verified, you can use the email address to recover your sign-in information. The verification link expires in 48 hours.”
You have these options: Resend email or Close.
- Mobile phone number option:
If a phone number is not activated, you see: Verify this phone number. If you click the hyperlinked words, this message appears:
“Check Text Messages
"A verification code was sent to +1 [phone number here] so FamilySearch can use this number for account recovery.
"Enter Verification Code"
[Box for entering the code is here].
You have these options: CANCEL, RESEND CODE, and VERIFY at the bottom of the screen.
If you continue to have any trouble setting up and activating your FamilySearch account, feel free to contact FamilySearch.