Please report any abuse or inappropriate content that you encounter on FamilySearch using the "Report Abuse" feature.
If someone is sending you unwanted messages, you can mute that person. After that, his or her messages to you will no longer be visible. See the information in Related articles for details.
What is considered abuse?
Abuse, in this case, is defined as any material saved on FamilySearch that would be considered offensive or inappropriate, such as the following:
- Offensive language or content
- Information that could harm or embarrass living relatives
- Links to external web pages with inappropriate content
- Solicitations for businesses or research services
- Political statement
- Copyright infringement
Abuse of FamilySearch also involves posting patriarchal blessings or official temple records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in any of these places:
- Life Sketch
What is not considered abuse?
Errors or changes in records are not considered abuse. If you have questions regarding inadvertent or potentially malicious errors in records that you are unable to resolve, please contact FamilySearch Support.
Our core policy is defined in FamilySearch Rights and Use Information, found at the bottom of most pages on FamilySearch.
- Go to a place on FamilySearch where you can report abuse:
- Tools: On the Person page of an individual, look under Tools for the Report Abuse link.
- Memory viewer: In the memory item viewer, look in the top-right corner for the Report Abuse link.
- Messages: Click the person's name next to a message, and click Report Abuse.
- Sources attached to individuals: Click a source. The Report Abuse link shows under the source title.
- Sources attached to relationships: Navigate to an individual's person page. Scroll to the Family Members section, and click the Edit icon. Click a source from the Relationship Sources section. Report Abuse is under the source title.
- Fill in the required information, and click Submit. All reports remain confidential.
Steps (mobile app)
You can report an offensive message that you receive in FamilySearch Messages.
- Open the FamilySearch app on your phone.
- On the bottom-right corner of your screen, tap More. Then tap Messages.
- Tap the message you want to report.
- In the top-right corner of your screen, tap the three dots (...), and then tap Report Abuse.
- Explain your reason, and in the upper-right corner of your screen, tap Submit.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
You cannot report abuse from Family Tree Lite. However, you can create a case to report the abuse.
In Family Tree Lite, scroll to the bottom of any page, and click Feedback and Support. Send us a message about the potential abuse.