You can detach any sources that are attached to a person. You can detach a source, even if another contributor added it.
Before you start
- A source attached to multiple people must be detached from each person individually. Carefully review each person before you detach.
- Detaching a source removes it from the person or relationship for the person.
- A detached source remains in the Source Box of the contributor.
- If you want an email notification when a source changes, click the Watch option for that person.
- In a tree view in Family Tree, display the person to whom the source is attached.
- Click the person's name.
- Click Person.
- If the source is attached to the person, click the Sources link. Or if the source is attached to a relationship for this person:
- Click Details.
- Scroll down to the Family section.
- If the source is attached to a couple relationship, click the Edit icon (looks like a pencil) beside the marriage information. If the source is attached to a parent-child relationship, click the Edit icon beside the name of the child.
- Scroll down to the Sources section of the relationship.
- Directly below the title of the source, click View Source.
- Detach the source:
- If you want to detach a source from this person or relationship only, click Detach.
- If you want to detach the same source from more than one person or relationship, identify each person who has this same source. Repeat the steps for each person.
- Click Detach.
You can review detached sources from the Latest Changes box of a person page. To see all changes and search for detached sources, click Show all.
Steps (mobile app)
- In the Family Tree mobile app, tap the person to whom the source is attached.
- Tap the Sources tab.
- Tap the title of the source.
- Tap the three dots in the top-right corner.
- Tap Detach.
- Enter a reason statement, then tap Detach.
You can review detached sources from the Recent Changes section of a person page.
- At the top-right, tap the 3 dots.
- Click Recent Changes. (If you do not see Recent Changes in the list, tap More.)
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
The Sources feature is not available on Family Tree Lite. To manage sources, visit the full website.