If you use a source that is not on FamilySearch, you must manually enter the title, web page, citation, and notes. You can then attach the source where it is needed.
As you enter the source, provide enough information for another person to find it.
- While signed in to FamilySearch, navigate to the Person page of the individual that the source references.
- Display the person's sources or their relationship sources:
- If the source is about a person, click the Sources tab.
- If the source is about a couple relationship, click the Details tab. Scroll down to the Family Members section, and click the edit icon that is next to the couple's marriage information.
- If the source is about a parent-child relationship, click the Details tab. Scroll down to the Family Members section, and click the edit icon that is next to the child's name.
- Click Add Source.
- Enter the source information in the respective fields, including the reason to attach a source.
- (Optional) By default, the small box next to Add to My Source Box is checked. To attach this same source to other people or to relationships, leave it checked. You can then use your source box to attach it where needed without having to type it again.
- Click Save.
The new source is added to the person or relationship that you selected.
Steps (mobile app)
In the Family Tree mobile app, you cannot add sources to couple relationships or parent-child relationships. However, you can still add a source to a person.
- Navigate to the Person page of the individual that the source references.
- Tap the Sources tab.
- Tap +.
- Tap one of the options:
- To search the records database for a source to attach, tap Search Records.
- If the source is online, tap Add a Source with a Web Page.
- If you want to use a digital image, tap Add a Source with a Photo.
- If you tapped to add a source with a photo, tap Add Photo. You can take a photo with your device. You can choose a photo from your device or files. You can go to your FamilySearch Gallery to choose the image.
- Enter the source information in the respective fields. Include a reason to attach the source.
- Tap Save.
The new source appears in the Sources list for the person.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Sources cannot be added through Family Tree Lite. Please visit the full website instead.