What’s New on FamilySearch—November, 2015

November 2, 2015  - by 

Each month, FamilySearch publishes a list of new changes and updates to the FamilySearch.org website. This list includes changes to Family Tree as well as other parts of FamilySearch.org. In some cases, these changes will also be published as individual articles where the need to do so exists.





Family Tree: New Data Problem—Standardize Dates and Places

On a person’s page, Family Tree now displays a new data problem in Research Help. It tells you if a date or place in the Family Tree record has not been standardized. Standardizing a date or place is usually easy, and it’s a great way to learn to edit a record.

Whats New 1
Whats New 1

When you enter a date or place into Family Tree, the system shows you how the date or place should be formatted. That is called the standard format. When you use the standard format, it improves people’s search results.

Usually it just takes a few clicks to standardize a date or place. Here’s what you do:

  1. Read the data problem message to see what information you need to standardize. That’s important.
  2. On the person’s page, find the information. (Birth, death, and burial information is in the Vital Information section. Marriage information is in the Family Members section.)
  3. Click the information you want to standardize. (Remember to click the information that was listed in the message.)
  4. On the upper right side of the box that opens, click the Edit
  5. To standardize the information, click the Click here to select.

Whats New 2

A list appears. The first item is usually a match.

Whats New 3

  1. If the information matches, click the standardized information in the list. The standardized information displays in green.

Whats New 4

If you aren’t certain that the information matches, click None of the above, and then click Cancel.

  1. Add a brief explanation of the change you made. (For example, “Standardized the death place.”)
  2. Click Save.

That’s it. You’re done. The data problem message should be removed from the Research Help section.

FamilySearch.org: The Personalized Home Page for Users Who Log In

We’re still developing the personalized home page that will offer options specifically for you. If you want to be a part of the test, sign in to FamilySearch.org, and then paste the following URL into your web browser: https://familysearch.org/?newhome=true. If you decide you don’t want to participate, you can click Exit Test at the top of the personalized home page.

FamilySearch.org and the New Microsoft Edge© Browser

Some portions of FamilySearch.org do not work properly in the recently released Microsoft Edge browser. While our teams are working to provide full support, we’ll display a banner to Microsoft Edge visitors stating that we don’t fully support the browser yet and suggest that, for now, they use other browsers when working in FamilySearch.org.

Family Tree: Now Supports .JPG, .TIF, .BMP, and .PNG Images and PDFs (as Documents) up to 15MB

In Family Tree, you can now upload images of photos and documents and documents that are PDFs up to 15MB. Previously you were limited to 5MB, but now you can upload higher resolution images and larger documents. FamilySearch.org Memories accepts most .jpg, .tif, .bmp, and .png formats. (There are a few versions it doesn’t accept.)

Whats New 5

Family Tree: Deleting a Person

To delete a person, you must now be the only contributor to that person. If you try to delete a person that others have added information or memories to, you will be notified that the Delete Person option is not available, and you will be given some alternatives for correcting the problem.

In Family Tree, if a person is incorrectly listed as part of a family, you can remove the person from the family. Sometimes users delete a person when they mean to remove the person from a family. Deleting the person removes that person from every record in Family Tree.

Removing a Person from a Family

If a person is incorrectly listed in a family, you can correct the problem by editing the person’s relationship to the spouse or family. Go to the person page, scroll to the Family Members section, and click the edit relationship icon for the couple or person.

Coming Soon

Search: Thumbnail Gallery View

Beginning next week, for FamilySearch.org historical record collections, you will be able to use a gallery view.

You can look at either a single image or switch to a gallery view that displays image thumbnails of all the images in the image set. (An image set is a group of records that have the same waypoint, or it could be an entire microfilm. A waypoint is a marker that identifies a portion of a collection. For example, if records are in date order and cover the years 1812–1815, a waypoint can be added that identifies the records for 1814.)

The gallery view gives you some great options. In the thumbnail gallery view, you can scan thousands of thumbnails and quickly navigate to specific spots in the image set faster than you can using microfilm. When you do a search, the gallery view makes it easy to look at the records surrounding the record you found (helpful for finding other relatives or neighbors or seeing all of a record that has been split over two pages). From a FamilySearch Catalog title, you can either link to the indexed records or to the images for a specific film. If a historical records collection hasn’t been indexed yet, the gallery view can make it easier to browse through the records in the collection. When viewing a single image, you will be able to navigate to the next record, the previous record, or jump to a specific image number. Anytime you are viewing a single indexed image, you will see the indexed data from the image presented in a table below the image.

Whats New 6


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Oh, thank you so much for not making it possible for people to delete persons. I have SUCH a hard time restoring deleted persons. I have spent dozens of hours and I am still not done.
    Thank you again!

  2. Recently, I have found several families that have only part of their children attached now after someone deleted them. Not just deleted from the family but totally. It’s going to take a ton of my time and fs specialists to connect them again to parents, spouses and children. Is there some way for this to be reviewed before someone can just go in and start deleting? Our photos are reviewed, how about this? Personally, I would consider suspended someone’s acct until they took the lessons on how to change relationships but not delete people. Sometimes the names are changed, and its hard to even find them again. Even with my personal file on rootsmagic, it’s going to be quite a chore, but if I don’t, sometime or another someone will want to do ordinances that are already completed. I feel really sorry for the folks who don’t have the data on their own computers.

      1. Yes, I have, and I have contacted the person who I think removed the names, but have not yet received any response. I can take care of most of the errors and changes by myself, but there have been several cases lately that have to be reviewed and “fixed” by senior FS specialists. My advice – don’t delete, just remove from the relationship, and don’t change the name! Put something like “Selumic or Solomon”, otherwise we can’t find it later! Using the word OR saves most search issues.

  3. I am the Family History Consultant in my ward (Wellton, AZ). This article was not sent to my email, but to my nonmember husband’s email. Please add me to your list of Family History Consultants.

    1. A standardized date is one in the form of day month year.

      1 January 2018 is standardized. The following are not

      01 January 2018
      1 Jan 2018
      January 1, 2018
      January 01 18


  4. Hello from South Africa. I was wondering if you have developed the exact event date feature yet. I have a brick wall for my Irish grandmother but I know her birthday and (probably) the birth year. Would I be able to use the birthday anywhere to try to find her ? Her surname may be fictitious or her birth may have been registered without a first name and I don’t know her parents’ names. TiA.