If you’re a family history enthusiast who has hesitated to use the FamilySearch Family Tree mobile app because it doesn’t have the same features as the website, think again! App usage has increased 150% over the past year as the app has grown in capability.
One of the newest features on the FamilySearch Family Tree mobile app will allow you to have multiple screens open while you’re doing your research, much like using multiple tabs in an internet browser. This can allow you to be more effective as you navigate your family tree and compare information from searches with your ancestors’ profiles. This new feature is still being tested and should be fully functional in a week.
Enabling Multiple Screens in the Family Tree App
To use this new feature in your family history research, you first need to enable it in the Family Tree app. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Family Tree app on your mobile phone or tablet.
- On an Apple device, on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, tap More, and from the list, select Settings. On an Android device, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner, tap the menu icon, and select Settings.
- For Apple devices, tap the button next to Enable Research Mode, or for Android devices, tap the button next to Enable Multiple Screens.
Once you’ve enabled this feature, you can get started using it to facilitate your research. Below are a few tips you should know about the Multiple Screens feature:
Using Multiple Screens in the Family Tree App (Apple devices)
- To open a new screen, in the lower right corner, tap the plus sign.
- The dots in the middle of the gray toolbar represent your open screens. You can quickly switch between screens by swiping left or right on the dots.
- To see all your open screens and close any you no longer need, in the lower left corner, open the Screen Manager by selecting the icon.
- Close an open screen by tapping the X in the corner.
- If you’re using the Family Tree app on a tablet, you’ll see an icon in the lower left corner that looks like a split screen. When you tap the icon, you will be able to split your screen to show two screens at once.
Using Multiple Screens in the Family Tree App (Android devices)
- To open your screens page, from your Family Tree screen, tap the multiple screens icon.
- To open a new screen, in the lower right corner, tap the green plus sign.
- To switch between open screens, return to the Screens page, and tap on the screen you want to use.
- To rename or delete a screen, in the corner of the screen, tap the 3 dots.
This feature is sure to make your on-the-go research a breeze, no matter your level of family history experience. Download the FamilySearch Family Tree app to try it out!