The U.S. Marriages Project, a joint initiative between findmypast.com and FamilySearch.org, is actively working to save the marriage records from every state in the United States. Through the indexing efforts of online volunteers across the U.S, this service project will create a high quality, searchable database of nearly every marriage recorded in the United States since the early 1800s.
Valuable Records for Connecting Families
Marriage records, often recorded by county clerks in beautiful ledgers, have valuable data that many records do not have—the wife’s maiden name and her parents. This information was not generally captured in earlier census records or other government documents. As people fill in the branches of their family tree, it is often the lines of the women that are harder to fill in. Marriage records in this project will help many people fill in their family tress. Fueled by the joy of discovering fascinating surprises from their own family history, volunteer indexers are excited to join the cause of indexing U.S. marriages.
When complete, the index and images will be available to findmypast subscribers and LDS members with FamilySearch.org accounts. Free access for everyone will be available at family history centers all over the world.
How to Participate
Marriage records for this project are listed by state. Indexers are invited to contribute to any state in the available projects. If there is a state that indexers feel connected to, then that is a great place to start.
To select a project, follow these steps:
I’m New to FamilySearch Indexing
- Go to the list of U.S. Marriage Projects here: https://familysearch.org/indexing/projects/country/us
- Find a project with the term “Marriage Records” in the title, as in this example: US, California—Marriage Records, 1750–1990
- Click Get Started, and follow the instructions.
I Have Used FamilySearch Indexing and Have the Software on My Computer
- Open the indexing program on your laptop or desktop computer.
- Click the blue Download Batch button.
- A pop-up window will open. Click the button to select Show all projects.
- Click the column Project Name (this sorts the list alphabetically).
- Select a US State—Marriage Records project.
- BEGIN INDEXING!
Help Publish: Arbitrate Indexed Marriages
As you know, indexes cannot be published on FamilySearch.org until they are reviewed, and arbitrators make this possible. Thank you for your help in arbitrating these U.S. Marriage Records.