Come join us every week for our FamilySearch social media livestreams! These live events are a fun, interactive opportunity for the family history community and others to connect with one another virtually.
FamilySearch Live Event Schedule
Instagram live events are each Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 a.m. mountain time. Facebook live events are each Wednesday at the 4:00 p.m. (also mountain time).
If you haven’t had a chance to watch past live events but want to, check out our YouTube playlist featuring some of the social lives. You can also watch a couple of the past live events below!
Why a Social Media Series?
“Our stories matter. They are one of the richest parts of family history. Sharing these stories can provide comfort to us and to future generations as they face their own struggles.” —Steve Rockwood
Family history is for everyone, every day. It is just as important for us to take part fully in recording our stories as it is to discover those people who came before us. This evolving series is meant to help you do both of those things.
What Will the Series Include?
The series will include questions and answers, beginner how-tos, record helps, FamilySearch and Family Tree app tips, family stories, and more! We hope that in creating this series, we will be able to help you find quick ways to stay involved with family history without adding any burden.
We want to point out ways that you are already succeeding and give a few tips along the way that can help you make the most of this unprecedented time. We hope to help you find new ways to record YOUR story, find inspiring stories of others in your family tree, and share inspiring and encouraging messages along the way.
How Can I Participate?
Follow us on Instagram @FamilySearch and on Facebook (facebook.com/FamilySearch/) to receive notifications and reminders. Share your thoughts and experience with the series by using the hashtag #FamilySearchLive when you post!
Also, be sure to let us know in the comments how we can help you during this time. We would especially like to hear your responses to these sorts of questions:
● We are here to support you. What questions do you have for us?
● How can we help you while you are home?
● What would you like to learn during this unprecedented time?
● What questions do you have about the Family Tree or Memories apps?
How to View an Instagram Live
To view the Instagram Live, follow these steps.
- Open the Instagram app and go to the FamilySearch page. You can find the FamilySearch page by clicking on the magnifying glass icon (bottom-left corner) and typing “FamilySearch” into the search bar that appears.
- Once at the FamilySearch page, click on the FamilySearch profile picture in the top-left corner to view current or past Instagram Lives for up to 24 hours after the stream. (If given the option to view the story or live, select live.)
- Alternatively, you can view current or past Instagram Lives by tapping on the IGTV icon (a square TV with a squiggle through the center), which you can find below the profile description and above the Instagram feed.
(Note: You can only view live Instagram streams on the mobile app, but the recordings will be uploaded and available via desktop. To access them, follow the instructions below.)
- Go to Instagram.com and then use the search-bar at the top of the screen to go to the FamilySearch page.
- Similar to mobile, either click on the profile picture or select the IGTV icon to watch past Instagram Lives.
How to View a Facebook Live
There are a few different ways to access a Facebook Live event.
The easiest way is to go to facebook.com/familysearch/live/. From there, you can view all previous FamilySearch Live events, including any that are currently live.
If you’re following the FamilySearch page on Facebook, you can also access live events your Facebook timeline. Live videos often show up as one of the posts on the timeline. Facebook may also send you a notification reminder when FamilySearch goes live. You can view the video by clicking on that notification.
You can also navigate to the live video by clicking the Watch section on the left hand side of the FamilySearch Facebook page‘s screen, and then selecting Live.
We hope to grow along with you in innovative ways as we discover, gather, and connect wherever we may be. We are grateful for the technology we have that makes such discoveries and connections possible in almost every circumstance.
Don’t forget to share your experience with the live streams in the comments below!