User:National Institute sandbox -3bEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The original content for this article was contributed by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies in June 2012. It is an excerpt from their course Research: Manitoba Ancestors by Laura Hanowski. The Institute offers over 200 comprehensive genealogy courses for a fee ($).
Manitoba Genealogical and Historical Societies
Manitoba Genealogical Society
Manitoba Genealogical Society (MGS)
Unit E, 1045 S. James Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 1B1
Telephone: (204) 783- 9139
The Resource Centre Hours*: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 10:30 am - 3:30 pm Wednesday evenings: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm From October through May: Sundays: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- The Resource Centre is staffed by volunteers so visitors are encouraged to phone ahead to confirm the Resource Centre’s status.
Dauphin Branch, MGS
37- 6th Avenue SE Dauphin
Manitoba R7N 2SC
Winnipeg Branch, MGS Unit E
1045 St. James Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 1B1
South West Branch, MGS
327 Kirklady Dr.
Brandon, Manitoba R7A 0C3
Swan Valley Branch, MGS
P.O. Box 6
Swan River, Manitoba R0L 1Z0
Telephone: (204) 734-2170
East European Genealogical Society, Inc.
Manitoba Branch, The United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada
Société Historique de Saint-Boniface
Ukrainian Cultural and Education Centre
Manitoba Mennonite Historical Society
600 Shaftesbury Blvd
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3M 0M5
- A composite index at this site is made up of the heads of households in the Mennonite church records of the Bergthal Gemeinde (community), Chortitzer Gemeinde, Reinlaender Gemeinde, Sommerfilder Gemeinde and Kleine Gemeinde.
Mennonite Heritage Centre
- The Centre has records relating to Russian Mennonites in Canada, the United States, Latin America and Russia. Records of religious communities predominate.
- Resources for Canadian Mennonite Studies: An Inventory and Guide to Archival Holdings at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Winnipeg: Mennonite Heritage Centre, 1988.
The Genealogical Institute of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada
- The genealogical institute has extensive records of Jewish communities, organizations and individuals in Western Canada. The birth, marriage and burial records 1907-1871 for Shaarey Zedek synagogue are available for loan from the Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba Historical Society
Metis Resource Centre
Key Web Pages of Value to Manitoba Researchers
Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions (CIHM) began by placing pre-1900 Canadian pamphlets, monographs, serials, annuals and periodicals on microfiche. In 1994 this was extended to include those published between 1900 and 1994. Can be searched online. Copies of the microfiche are available for sale or can be viewed at major libraries.
- Gilchrist, J. Brian and Clifford Duxbury Collier, compilers. Genealogy and Local History to 1900: A Bibliography Selected From the Catalogue of the Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions (CIHM) genealogie et histoire locale d’avant 1900: une bibliographie tiree du catalogue de l’institut canadien de microreproductions historiques (ICMH). Ottawa: Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions, 1995.
Peel’s Prairie Provinces
This website has been developed by the University of Alberta to enable one to access the resources found in A Bibliography of the Prairie Provinces to 1953 and Peel’s Bibliography of the Canadian Prairies. Copies of the microfiche are available for sale or can be viewed at major libraries. Digitised images for some of the items are now found online.
- Peel, Bruce Braden. A Bibliography of the Prairie Provinces to 1953. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1973.
- Ingles, Ernie B. and N. Merrill Distad, editors, A Bibliography of the Prairie Provinces to 1953. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2003.
The following book sellers have copies of most of the books that are referred to in this guide.
- Global Publishing and History Shoppe, Toll-free: 1-800-361-5168
- Interlink Book Shop Dave and Dixie Obee, Toll-free: 1-(800) 747-4877
- Ontario Genealogical Society
40 Orchard View Blvd., Suite 102
Toronto, Ontario M4R 1B9
Telephone: (416) 489-0734
Information in this Wiki page is excerpted from the online course Research: Manitoba Ancestors offered by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies. To learn more about this course or other courses available from the Institute, see our website. We can be contacted at email@example.com
We welcome updates and additions to this Wiki page.