Preble County, OhioEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Preble County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Preble County Courthouse|
101 East Main St.
Preble County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Butler and Montgomery Counties in 1808.
- County Seat: Eaton
- Neighboring Counties: Preble County, Ohioresidents may also have records in Darke (north) · Butler (south) · Franklin County, Indiana (west) · Union County, Indiana (northwest) · Warren (east) · Montgomery (northeast)
See an interactive map of Preble County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Genealogical & Historical Records of Preble County contains the scanned images of obituary and marriage records of Preble County and new records are added on a regular basis.
Miami Valley Genealogy Index is an Index to more than a half million pointers to records all over Miami Valley including Preble County.
- Biographical History of Preble County, Ohio. (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1900)
- History of Preble County, Ohio: Her People, Industries and Institutions by R. E. Lowry. (Indianpolis, Indiana: B. F. Bowen, c1915. Reprint; Owensboro, Kentucky: Cook & McDowll Publications, 1981)
- History of Preble County, Ohio: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, 1798-1881. (Cleveland, Ohio: H. Z. Williams & Bro., 1881)
- Pictorial History of the One-Room Schools of Preble County, Ohio (Evansville, Indiana: M. T. Publishing, 2010)
- Preble County: Celebrating Our Heritage One Township at a Time: 1808-2008 (Eaton, Ohio: Key Printing, 2008)
- Preble County, Ohio. (Eaton, Ohio: Preble County Historical Society, 1992)
- Visiting our Past 200 Years: The Bicentennial Celebration of Eaton, Ohio 1806-2006. (Eaton, Ohio: The Eaton Bicentennial History Committee, 2006)
Land and Property
- Ohio Historical Inventory for Preble County this resource provides a listing of historical and architectural significant houses and buildings of Preble County.
- Atlas of Preble County, Ohio from Actual Surveys by D. J. Lake (Philadelphia: C. O. Titus, c1871)
- Composite Collection of Cadastral Maps of Preble County, Ohio by Seth Schlotterbeck (Eaton, Ohio: Preble County Historical Society, c1978)
- Plat Book of Preble County, Ohio: Compiled from County Records and Actual Surveys. (Des Moines, Iowa: Northwest Publishing Co., 1912)
- Township Maps of Preble County, Ohio: Compiled from County Records and Actual Surveys. (Richmond, Indiana: F. B. Robinson, c1897)
Naturalization and Citizenship
The following is a list of Preble County newspapers that are available on microfilm and owned by the Preble County District Library (PCDL), unless noted. The dates/years next to a title are the years available on microflim, and not the years published.
- Camden Gazette (1896-1902)
- Camden Herald (1877-1879)
- Camden Herald and Camden Gazette (1877-1879)
- [Camden] Preble County News (1903-1989)
- [Eaton] Bulletin (1937-1953)
- Eaton Democrat (1854-1856, 1875-1926, 1935-1938)
- [Eaton] Democratic Press (1860-1865)
- [Eaton] Gospel Herald (1847-1848)
- Eaton Herald (1900-1901, 1906-1918)
- Eaton Independent (1873-1874)
- [Eaton] Ohio Graphic (1928-1990) - not ownd by PCDL
- [Eaton] Preble County Democrat (1857-1859)
- [Eaton] Preble County Democrat (1902-1908)
- Eaton Register (1830-1918) [scattered issues from 1830-1875]
- [Eaton] Register-Herald (1918-Present)
- Eaton Semi-Weekly News (1927-1935)
- Eaton Weekly Democract (1870-1873)
- Eldorado Bee (1898-1901, 1908-1927)
- Eldroado News (1927, 1930-1931)
- Lewisburg Leader (1897-1982)
- New Paris Graphic-Mirror (1958-1962)
- New Paris Mirror (1883-1922, 1930-1931)
- [West Alexandria] Record (1905-1910) - not owned by PCDL
- [West Alexandria] Twin Valley Eco (1899-1931) - not owned by PCDL
- [West Alexandria] Twin Valley News (Microfilm: 1955, 1973-1991; Bound vols: 1954-2010)
Currently published newspapers.
- [Eaton] Register-Herald
- [West Alexandria] Twin Valley News
Preble County Courthouse
100 Main Street
Eaton, OH 45320
Probate Judge has birth and death records from 1867,
probate records from 1800 and marriage records from 1808;
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from 1850;
County Recorder has land records from 1804
Family History Centers
- Preble County Room, houses the genealogical and local history collections of the Preble County District Library.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
An excellent source of early marriage and obituary information is the online database entitled Genealogical & Historical Records of Preble County, Ohio, sponsored by the Preble County District Library. A searchable database of marriages, obituaries and some cemetery records links to the actual scanned image of the genealogical and historical documents, which date back into the 1800s.
Cities and Villages
- College Corner - currently part in Butler County & Preble County
- Eaton, City of
- New Paris
- Verona - currently part in Montgomery County & Preble County
- West Alexandria
- West Elkton
- West Manchester
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Preble County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preble_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Preble County, Ohio. Page 545 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More