Indians of IllinoisEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
See Indians of the United States and Their Records for suggestions on how to research American Indian ancestry.
Tribes and Bands of Illinois
The most prominent Indian tribes in Illinois were the Illinois, Miami, Winnebago, Fox and Sacs (Sauk), Kickapoo, and Pottawatomie tribes. The Illinois Indians were composed of five subdivisions including Kaskaskias, Cahokias, Tamaroas, Peorias, and Metchigamis. Most of these tribes were eliminated from Illinois by about the mid-nineteenth century either through warfare or resettlement to other territories by the federal government.
Chippewa, Cahokia, Delaware, Foxes, Illinois, Illiniwek, Iroquois, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Michigamea, Miami, Moingwena, Ottawa, Peoria, Piankeshaw, Potawatomi, Sac and Fox, Sauk, Shawnee, Tamaroa, Winnebago, Wyandot
As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, there are no current federally-recognized reservations in Illinois.
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
Chicago Agency Prairie du Chein Agency 1824-1842
- ↑ Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907.
- ↑ Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Afffairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145
Family History Library
Additional sources on specific tribes can be found in the Family History Library Catalog by using a Subject Search (on the microfiche catalog only) under the name of the tribe, for example:
- FOX INDIANS
- MIAMI INDIANS
- SAUK INDIANS
and under the subject:
INDIANS OF NORTH AMERICA- ILLINOIS.
Other sources can be found in the Family History Library Catalog by using a Place Search under:
ILLINOIS- NATIVE RACES
The following references may be helpful for those searching for American Indians in Illinois:
- Beckwith, Hiram Williams. The Illinois and Indiana Indians. 1884. Reprint, New York, New York: Arno Press, 1975. (Family History Library book 970.1 B389i; and fiche 6087719.) This book gives histories of the tribes in Illinois.
- Tregillis, Helen Cox. The Indians of Illinois: A History and Genealogy. [Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen Publishing], 1983. (Family History Library book 970.1 T716; fiche 6088745.) In addition to histories of the tribes, this source contains biographies of prominent Illinois Indians and a bibliography of sources.
- The Lyman Copeland Draper Collection which includes:
Illinois-History for a calendar of events
Illinois-Military for a list of forts
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More