FamilySearch Wiki:Help wanted on the WikiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Beginning Contributors are needed
Building the Wiki could be compared to a barn raising.
A barn raising is accomplished with volunteers of all expertise levels -- from total beginners to master craftsmen.
Like a physical barn raising, a wiki barn raising needs a variety of people. While it requires experts who can design the information architecture, the look and feel of the content section, the elements of a good article, and the way in which the various pages will interlink, it also needs folks who can do research for good record sources, find information already on the Internet regarding a topic, correct spelling mistakes and grammar, add headings to articles, transfer information from other sources to the wiki, and many other tasks. Whatever your expertise level, there's a place for you in a wiki barn raising.
What tasks could a beginning contributor do?
- Look at pages in the Wiki that could use some TLC, such as Stubs. There might be a section in a Stub article that you could enhance by adding content, or even just spell-checking.
- Are you interested in a specific locality? Could you use your expertise to add content to pages in that locality that are in a specific section of the article, such as cemeteries?
- Another possibility would be to watch genealogy blogs for press or news releases that could be added to the Wiki, if they're not time sensitive.
Is there something specific that is missing from several of them?
- Suppose several County pages are missing information about local libraries. Could you use an internet site, such as PublicLibraries.com to locate the libraries for each county and add the link to the page?
- Add links to the Family History Center pages, if they're missing.
- How about looking for county histories on Googlebooks or Internet Archives and then adding them to the County pages?
- There are several on-going projects in the Wiki. There will be information for areas where help is needed. Many of the tasks would be good for a beginner.
- Help is available as you determine a task that you would like to do:
What help could a beginner give to Support the Wiki?
There are many tasks that need to be done on an on-going basis to keep the Wiki up-to-date, clean, and accurate. Once you've tried some of the Contributor tasks, you might want to venture into some of the Support tasks, or work on one of the committees.
- There are several opportunities to help, listed on the Wiki Care and Support page.
- For instance, Maintaining the Help Content