FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 December 12Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: James had surgery last Monday. He was STILL in the hospital a couple of days ago. I imagine it was a hard time.
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. Are we giving up hope?
News and Events
- No UGA virtual chapter meeting in December
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
Discussion mostly about Cemeteries area. Liz took note of changes to make. Some responses to ideas were recorded on in that area.
An overview of LDS Church Records tasks and progress was given.
- Project to post all FS Historical Records Collections to the county pages. Kudos to Jana!
- State badges on each county: we need to update these to county links with the statewide badge also on the county digital collections page.
- Steps: Jana will prepare so others can do it.
- Beginner's corner. Jana presented her page to the Thursday group.
- Tracking projects, etc. was discussed in Thursday group, as an outgrowth of our discussions.
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Thanks, Liz, for your ideas and hard work.
- Some discussion items re:Cemeteries
- LDS Church records Phase 1 is almost finished. Kudos to Jeff and Cathy Stevens, Elizabeth Kesler, Garreth (Bo) and Joy Bogar.
- Finished task for Phase 1a -- doing the stakes. This was taught to missionaries Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.
- Today: review practice stakes
- Report to UGA re:Utah Wiki Project done by Patsy. Be sure to read your UGA newsletter.
- Project end: If people come, hoping they have something to come to.
- Need things others can add before we quit.
- UGA members invited to attend and help
- Proposal: meet 1st of Jan, 1st of Feb, monthly if needed.
- Meet at least twice per month for awhile.
- Invite to special meetings
- Task to add timelines from Jensen's: Marty and Bo will focus on Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, St. George, Logan, Bountiful, Odgen to start.
- Beginner's corner:
- Joy and Jana talked about image approval. Joy will personally do those Jana contacts her about.
From previous meetings:
- Gallery of images: Joy and I talked about this. Need a process, so others can submit images of the various counties and we won't have to maintain it. (More discussion in Nov 21 meeting. Get with Joy about those suggestions.)
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records:
- James linked each of the articles back to the How to find Genealogy Records page.
- Points out huge gaps - such as early immigrants, etc. Showing mostly UK roots rather than other
- It is a great page to keep gathering articles, perhaps to organize sections not just rely on page names.
- As anyone writes an article, they should add it to the list.
- Suggest a topic for wiki articles
From previous meetings (no progress):
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in last meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, and others with large compilations..
- Maps follow-up: Marilyn will check with Jason Harrison and David Dilts for what they are doing. Results:
- Suggestion from last meeting not yet implemented: Newberry atlas of historical county boundaries.
- Oldmapsonline.org draw a square around the area; USGS.gov maps digitizing them
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
Minimum information for each topic:
- Per project leaders meeting (Oct 23) and group meeting (Oct 31)
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections Done by Jana early Nov.
"Boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
- Ideas per group meeting Oct 31
- UGA Patsy can get zips of UGA members and contact for their interest
- FHCs in area - do they know someone they can suggest?
- Libraries in area
- ULA - Pat can email everyone asking for help
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More