FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 12 July 2012Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
- Contacted lady about English pages that were deleted and she understood the situation.
Moderators and Adopters
Style Guide Discussions
Translation request template
I'm not sure I think it's either effective or appropriate to place a translation request (template) at the top of a content or help page. There are several issues that we need to think through together:
- Is it appropriate to invite discussion about a translation request on an article's talk page. (It seems to me that the conversation for a page should be about the content of that page, not about whether someone has an interest in translating that page for another wiki.)
- Is this the right audience for that kind of request for help?
- process wise, not best way to appeal to people interested in translating.
- Mingling content text with pleas for help. Better way to determine what is priority.
- someone find out who has need for translation and look at process. Whatever is done to meet that need should fall in framework
- From a content quality perspective, do we really want large, colorful (distracting) pleas for help mixed with real information?
- Location of foreign language links
- Historical Records collection _should be high priority for translation.
- Dorothy - more concise records in this area.
- Lise to develop verbiage to add to Style Guide covering placement.
- I think Lise makes a good case for this template to be reduced in size and to be placed at the end of an article. The hidden category will still be there, which I think should be prompted as the best way for translators to find articles that have been requested for translation. I will start a discussion about this on the template talk page. --Steve 13:15, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
How to Create Source Citations / Historical Records
- Lise, link on article needs to be removed. This page is for people creating documents, not for patrons, Propose deleting verbiage " It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
Church of England. England, Dorset, parish registers. Dorset Record Office, Dorchester, England.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections."
- Steve, would be helpful to have elements defined.
Project Help Requests
- Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:
Improve the Wiki
- It would be helpful if the plans/guidelines that the FHL are using to develop articles in the wiki, were shared with other wiki contributors. From my perspective it is clear that a FHL co-ordinated effort is being made to develop articles about English parishes. However for any non-FHL employee or volunteer who has a great desire and interest to be involved in developing these articles there does not seem to be an obvious way to become involved. I created the FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject English parishes with a hope that this would become the place to discuss and develop these plans. Alas this has not happened. Maybe it has fallen under the radar. Perhaps I should be more proactive in drawing people to the wikiproject. My hope is raising this in this meeting is to raise awareness of the issue and to gain feedback from other contributors about what they would do to bring about increased collaboration between those within and without the Family History Library. --Steve 13:08, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Nathan ... FHL trying to communicate through blog to let them know what they were doing. Always list their projects on the "project page." Wikipedia - whenever page is part of a project it is identified as such on the Talk page. Could documents that are given to missionaries to edit pages be publicized.
- Wilma ... under communities put Wiki projects, things you can do, something that illuminates it under Community.
- Know who to reach out to to discuss project.
- Key question is much broader.
- One time fact finding meeting.
Ideally need a way to collaborate together. Clearly coordinated effort from FHL to work on English pages. Could they put their documents online so other people would benefit from it.
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Comments added since last week
Decisions made since last week
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More