Ellis County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Ellis County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Ellis County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Address|| Ellis County Courthouse|
1204 Fort Street
Hays, Kansas 67601-3899
1204 Fort St;
Hays, KS 67601
County Clerk has birth, marriage, and death records 1886-1911.
Clerk District court has divorce, probate, court and naturalization records.
Register of Deeds has land, military discharge & school records. 
1867--Ellis County was created 26 February 1867 from unorganized territory. County seat: Hays 
- Ellis County was not organized until after the Civil War so no Civil War enlistment records exist.
Societies and Libraries
Ellis Public Library: Library holdings can be searched in Pathfinder Central. The library may have cataloged unique items related to genealogy and local history, in addition to published works for this area.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ellis County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ellis County, Kansas page 250 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).