Wales Research TopicsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Free genealogy help and resources are available for Wales and for individual counties. Select a county where your ancestor lived or browse the topics listed to the left and the featured items listed below to learn more about how to search for your ancestors.
The historic counties
- Emigration: Record Selection Guide
- Key Online Record Set: Welsh Probates
- Browse by Topic: Pages for Wales
- FamilySearch: Welsh Records
- Article: Wales Missing Census Records
- Research Places: Aberkenfig Resource Centre & Cefn Mawr Resource Centre
- National Library of Wales: Manuscript Pedigrees
News and events
- Records recently deposited for Bethania Chapel, Maesteg 1861-2005 at the Glamorgan Record Office.
- Pre 1858 Welsh Probate indexes and free document images are now online.
- The 1911 census is now available online for all of Wales. About 13% of the schedules are printed and filled out in Welsh.
- Ordnance Survey Maps with registration district boundaries free to search online
- The National Library of Wales at Aberystwyth has begun a £20 million project to make large parts of its collection available on-line. The project will take 10 years to complete and will involve the digitising of millions of documents, newspapers and books.
- The latest national Census in Wales took place on 27 March, 2011.
- BBC Wales have relaunched their website on Welsh Family History
- FamilySearch now has Welsh parish registers on microfilm.
- Cwrs Cymraeg This year's Welsh course, Cwrs Cymraeg Dyffryn Shenandoah, will be at Shenandoah University in Virginia on July 17-24, 2011.
Things you can do
- Join a Community of Wales researchers! Ask questions, help others, and share your research successes on Facebook and/or Skype. NEW!
- Plan Your Research Trip to Wales
- Take one of many Welsh Language Courses
- BBC Wales - Family History
- National Gazetteer of Wales
- Graveyard Welsh
- Welsh Mormon History
- BYU Research Outline for Wales
more Wales Websites
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- England and Wales Nonconformist Index for RG 4-8 (Record Groups 4-8) (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wales Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wales Death and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wales Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wales Glamorgan Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wales, Probate Abstracts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- This page was last modified on 14 April 2013, at 23:16.
- This page has been accessed 208 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More