Van Buren County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Van Buren County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Van Buren County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 11, 1833|
|Address|| Van Buren County Courthouse|
Main & Briggs;
Clinton, AR 72031
Van Buren County Courthouse
Main & Briggs;
Clinton, AR 72031
County Clerk has marriage, court and land records from 1859, divorce records from 1874 and probate records from 1860
County seat: Clinton 
See an interactive map of Van Buren County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Van Buren County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Van Buren County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from this county served in the 31th Regiment, Arkansas Confederate Infantry, Companies B, D, and F. 
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Van Buren County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Buren+county+Arkansas+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat
- FamilySearch. Do a Van Buren County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see, FHL Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1865-1951 - Van Buren County Marriage Books -17 Index 1865-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1895 - Van Buren County Marriage Index 1865-1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Van Buren County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 71.
- ↑ "Martin Van Buren," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Ronald R. Bass, History of the Thirty-first Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1996), p. 12 FHL book 976.7 M2ba
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 21 May 2013, at 19:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,741 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More