User:ManessREEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
My first experience with family history was about age 10, when Dad began to take me to the Library to help him copy information – I was the “Xerox” machine. It was not an auspicious beginning - looking at the microfilm made me nauseous, the books were somewhat dusty which brought on a sneezing fit, and, I was really more interested in the contents of the ice cream and candy machine than that other stuff. Repentance came by age 17, when some wonderful friends showed me how being a detective i.e. doing family history can be very intellectually challenging, and fun too. Employment as a Library Attendant, then in the Family Group Record Archives, then in the TIB, then as a microfilm operator, and lastly over thirty years experience as a reference consultant in the International Unit of the Family History Library has provided a good feel and foundation for the workings of that institution, and that side of the professional’s road. Thirty-eight years of professional research experience, including numerous field trips to archives and record offices in many parts of the U.S. and Europe help me to understand the other side of the professional’s road.
- BYU – BA double major History and Languages 1977
- Graduate Classes 1977-80
- Norway, AG
- Sweden, AG
Family History Library:
- Swedish FamilySearch Wiki Case Studies Builder: 2009-
- Sr. Research Consultant: 1990s-present
- Staff & Missionary Trainer: 1980s-present
- Manager of Scandinavian Unit: 2005-2008
Field Trip Experience
- Germany: 1990-present
- Poland: 1994
- Great Britain: 1984
- Scandinavia: 2000
- South Africa:1990-1991
- US Midwest: 1970. 2001
- US Northeast: 1970
- US Southern States: 1970, 1977, 1992, 2002, 2008
- Family Histories (non-published) presented by the GSU to Kåre Willoch and Odvar Nordli, Prime Ministers of Norway
- Compiler/Co-author of, Passport to Paradise, The Copenhagen Mormon Passenger Lists, 1872-1894, and Legacy of Sacrifice...
- Columnist for Heritage Quest Magazine and Everton's Genealogical Helper; Scandinavia - Questions and Answers
- National Genealogical Society (NGS)
- Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS)
- BYU Genealogical Confereneces
- UGA Genealogical Conferences
International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional GenealogistsSM
- ICAPGen Test Administrator:2009-Present
- ICAPGen Commissioner:2000-2008
Utah Genealogical Association
- Coordinator for the Scandinavian Track of the Salt Lake Genealogical Institute (SLIG): 2000, 2004, 2008
- President: 1990-1992
- This page was last modified on 5 April 2010, at 22:48.
- This page has been accessed 493 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More