Union County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Union County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Union County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1829|
|County Seat||El Dorado|
|Address|| Union County Courthouse; |
101 N Washington
El Dorado, AR 71730
Union County Courthouse;
101 N Washington
El Dorado, AR 71730
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1846; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
- 1829--Union County was created 2 November 1829 from Hempstead and Clark Counties. County seat: El Dorado 
See an interactive map of Union County boundary changes.
- Claiborne Parish, Louisiana
- Morehouse Parish, Louisiana
- Union Parish, Louisiana
- Cemeteries Online in Union County Union County ARGeneb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Federal land records for Union County Union Co. AR Archives
Local histories are available for Union County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Union County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Korean War Casualties at Union Co. Archives
War of 1812
- War of 1812 Land Grants at Union Co. Archives
- Indian Wars at Union Co. Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Union County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1847-1951 - Union County Marriage Books A-Z, 2-34 Index 1847-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1920 - Union County Marriage Books A-X Index 1847-1920 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Directory to Early Union County Marriages ARGenweb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Union County Genealogy Society
East 5th and North Jefferson Street
El Dorado, Ar 71730
Family History Centers
- Union County website ARGenweb
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Union County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Calvin L. Collier, They'll do to tie to : the story of the Third Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A. (Little Rock, Arkansas : Civil War Round Table Associates, 1988), p. 10. FHL Collection
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 21 May 2013, at 19:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,899 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More