Scott County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Scott County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 20 family history books and articles have been published about Scott County's families.
- Main article: Scott County, Virginia
Scott County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
- Addington, Hugh M. Encomium for Scott County Virginia. Nickelsville, Va.: Service Printery, 1951. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes 675 Scott County family names, list of achievements, sample genealogies.
Scott County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Addington] Addington, Luther. "The Addington Family," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 4 (1978):56. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Carter] Sutton, Rita K. and Eliza Sutton Rigg. Early Carters in Scott County, Virginia. 1981. 1993 edition: FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C245sr.
- [Crook] Carter, Floyd Clarence and Douglas Wayne Carter. Descendants of Sciota R. Crook of Scott County, Virginia. [Beavercreek, Ohio: D.W. Carter], 1998. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C882cf.
- [Davidson] Sibley, Linda and Fred Mac Sibley. The Family of Henry S. & Elizabeth Begley. Midlothian, Texas: L.B. Sibley, 1994. Digital version at Family History Archive.
- [Dingus] Dingus, Mitch. "Finding the Graves of William and Mary Polly Green Dingus," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Mar. 2006):53-56. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 12.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Scott County Duncans.
- [England] McNutt, Eula M. Lyon. "John England, Revolutionary Soldier," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 13, No. 2 (1984):130-132.
- [Frazier] Frazier, Margaret Mills. "Searching for Mills's and Fraziers," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. 1978):51-54. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Higginbotham] Peery, Joseph S. "Higginbotham Genealogy," The Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 4 (Oct. 1916):189-201. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- [Hillman] Counts, Belva Marshall. Unto the Hills...Some Hillmans and Others. Radford, Va.: Commonwealth Press, Inc., 1979. FHL Book 929.273 H56c.
- [Hilton] Hilton, James L., E. Frank Hilton, and Lelia Hilton Neal. "Hiltons of Scott County, Virginia," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):35-36; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):26-29. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Hilton] Hilton, James L. Hiltons of Scott County, Virginia. 1998. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H563hj.
- [Johnson] Yates, William Allen. Johnson Genealogy: Descendants of George W. Johnson of Scott County, Virginia and Rockcastle County, Kentucky and Descendants of Benjamin Johnson of Smyth County, Virginia. Stevensville, Montana: W.A. Yates, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 J632y.
- [Lane] Steele, Fannie Lane. Country Roads and Lanes - The Ancestry and Descendants of General Jackson Lane.
- [Lawson] "William Lawson, A Scottish Rebel" and Other Pioneer Families of Southern Appalachia. Wise County Historical Society (Virginia).
- [Lyon] Lyon(s) Family Association of America. Lyon(s) Family Archives, ca.1605-ca.1980: Lyon(s) Individual and Family Files for Various Counties in the State of Virginia. Typescript, 1960-1975. FHL Film 1320853 Item 2
- [McConnell] Compton, Lake F. McConnell and Snavely. Wise County Historical Society (Virginia).
- [Marshall] "CSA Soldier: Robert Wilson Marshall," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 1 (Jun. 1996):96-97. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 1 (Jun. 1996).
- [Marshall] Marshall, Ganell. The Marshall Family. 2004.
- [Moore] Painter, Mildred. "Moores in Virginia 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840," Southwest Virginia, Vol. 3, No. 18 (Dec. 1980):16. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Moore] McCloskey, Cheryl Moore. Descendants of John Moore, Revolutionary War Veteran, Floyd County, Kentucky: The Moore Book, an Account of John Moore (1758-1836) Birth, Orange County, North Carolina; Revolution Residence, Surry County, North Carolina; Marriage, Rockingham County, North Carolina; Deceased, Floyd County, Kentucky and His Descendants Floyd County, Kentucky; Scott and Wise Counties, Virginia. Villa Hills, Ky.: C.M. McCloskey, 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M781mcc.
- [Osbourne] Bowlin, Gerald D. "Information Given by Rebecca Collier Nee Richmond, A Gran Daughter of Stephen Osbourne," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 4 (1978):11-13. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Scott County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Peters] Petes, James Marvin. Peters Family of Scott County, Virginia: A Genealogy of Henry Peters (1763-1859), John Peters (1770-1846), and Jacob Peters, Jr. (1779-1862). New Carlisle, Ohio: J.M. Peters, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P442pj.
- [Pierson] Peterson, Phyllis P. "History of Claude William Pierson," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):41-43; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):30-32. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Riggs] Sutton, Rita K. "The Riggs Family (A Partial Genealogy)," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 5 (1978):2-15. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Riggs] Sutton, Rita Kennedy. "The Riggs Family (A Partial Genealogy)," The Appalachian Quarterly (June 2002):4-27. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 7 (2002).
- [Riggs] Smith, Alvy Ray. William Riggs of Virginia and His Probable Family (c1765-2005). Berkeley, Calif.: Ars Longa, 2011. Digital version at Edwardian Riggs of America (PDF file) - free.
- [Riley] Ports, Michael A. Genealogical Notes and History Concerning the Riley Family of Washington, Russell, and Scott counties, Va. Donated 1993. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Rogers] Rogers, Marion J. "The Descendants of John Rogers of Virginia," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Dec. 1996):64. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 3 (Dec. 1996).
- [Shelly] Whitley, Edythe. Shelly Family of Scott County, Virginia and Franklin County, Tennessee Data. 1964. FHL US/CAN Film 875370 Item 9.
- [Smith] Elliott, Kay. "Smith/Powers - Virginia to Missouri," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 4 (Dec. 2007):35-36. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 12.
- [Speer] Speer, Rollo Clayton. The Family of Michael Speer of Speer's Ferry, Scott Co., Va.: A Partial Account of the Family in Their Migration from Virginia through the States of North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Colorado, Idaho and the Pacific Coast States. Pocatello, Idaho: unknown, 1942. FHL US/CAN Film 1688880 Item 12; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Speer] Shaffer, Goldie Margueritte Cook. Speer Family: Family of Joshua Speer of Scott County, Virginia. 1990. FHL US/CAN Film 1598123 Item 3.
- [Spencer] Martin, Charles E. James Spencer (circa 1775)-1833 of Scott County, Virginia: and Some of His Descendants. Eastern, Ky.: C.E. Martin, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Sp33m.
- [Vicars] Vicars, Dawna J. "Descendants of William Vicars," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 9, No. 2 (Jun. 200):42-50; Vol. 9, No. 3 (Sep. 2004):50-59; etc. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 9.
- [Wolfe] Wolfe, Bevery U. and Jacob Wolfe Family Association. Jacob Wolfe of Scott County, Virginia: and Some of His Descendants. Fernandina Beach, Florida: Wolfe Pub., 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 W832wo.
- [Wolfe] Wolfe, Ed. The Life and Times of Miller Yard in Scott County, Virginia. Pittsburgh, Penn.: HEW Enterprises, 2002. FHL Book 975.5732 H2w.
- [Wood] Wood, M.B. A Brief Account of the Wood Family in Virginia: A Short Memoir of James O. Wood and His Ancestors from Their Earliest Settlement in the Colony of Virginia to His Death. Wise County Historical Society (Virginia).
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2013, at 23:40.
- This page has been accessed 2,082 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More