Prowers County, ColoradoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Prowers County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Prowers County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||April 11, 1889|
|Address|| Prowers County Courthouse|
300 S Main Street
Lamar, CO 81052-2857
Prowers County Website
County Clerk has marriage, land and some death records 1889;
District Court has divoce and court recors. County Court has probate records.
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
11 April 1889: Prowers County was created from Bent County.
Business Records and Commerce
- Compilation of cemetery records including index from four cemeteries near Lamar, Prowers, Colorado FHL Collection
For tips on accessing Prowers County, Colorado census records online, see: Colorado Census.
- Bent and Prowers Counties (Colorado) directories FHL Collection
- Polk's Lamar (Prowers County, Colorado) city directory: including Prowers County residents and ranchers FHL Collection
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Prowers County, Colorado. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
- Prowers County history FHL Collection
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
- The homestead years: Prowers County, Colorado FHL Collection
- Prowers County, Colorado land ownership map, 1889 FHL Collection
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Prowers County, Colorado newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Colorado State Archives Index to the Prowers County Amache School Teachers and Personnel for the period 1942-1945. This is an Index to the records of the teachers who were approved and hired at the Center.
- Inventory of the county archives of Colorado, no. 50, Prowers County (Lamar) FHL Collection
Family History Centers
- Holly Public Library
302 South Main Street
Holly, CO 81047
- Lamar Public Library
102 East Parmenter St
Lamar, CO 81052
- Big Timbers Museum
Prowers County Historical Society
7515 U.S. Hwy 50
P. O. Box 929
Lamar, CO 81052
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the Family History Library Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
- Prowers County CO Trails to the Past
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives (backup site)
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Prowers County, Colorado. Page 100 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
|This Colorado-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 June 2013, at 23:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,803 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More