Poweshiek County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Poweshiek County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Poweshiek County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
The Poweshiek County Courthouse in Montezuma contains vital records (starting about 1848 for birth, marriage, and death) on the 2nd floor. The staff is friendly and helpful. Access inside the records vault is allowed, although no cameras are permitted. There is no charge for transcribing documents, and since personal computers are allowed inside the records vault, transcription is easy. The cost for having the staff make copies was only a few dollars per copy.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Societies and Libraries
The Montezuma Public Library contains only an handful of local history books. All newspapers and genealogical materials are in the Poweshiek County Historical and Genealogical Society in Montezuma (see website below).
Family History Centers
- Poweshiek County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Family History Library Catalog
- Poweshiek County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2013, at 23:26.
- This page has been accessed 1,405 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More