PolandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
For a Polish language version of this page see also Polska.
Getting started with Poland research
Welcome to the Poland page! FamilySearch Wiki is a community website dedicated to helping people throughout the world learn how to find their ancestors. Through the Poland page you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Polish records of genealogical value. The content is variously targeted to beginners, intermediate, and expert researchers. The Poland Page is a work in progress, your contributions and feedback are essential!
- Beginning Polish Research
- Civil Registration Office Finder
- Finding records of your ancestors, Poland 1808 to 1900
- Join the Facebookor Skype Poland Genealogy Research Community
- Gazetteers and Maps Online
- Holdings of the Polish State Archives
- Kartenmeister - German/Polish Place Name Conversion
- Letter Writing Guide
- Online Tutorials
- Postal Codes Finder
- Parish Finder Use correct Polish diacritical marks.
- Reference Aids Overview at the Family History Library
- Research Outline
- Word List
Online Databases and Digitized Records
- AGAD Digitized records from the Eastern areas of Poland now in Ukraine. Click here for instructions.
- GenBaza Digitized records from the various archives in Poland. Click here for instructions.
- Polish State Archives Digitized records from the Polish State Archives. Click here for instructions.
- Geneteka Database Church Registers Indexing Project
- Pomeranian Genealogical Association Pomeranian church books
- Pomeranian Genealogical Association Pomeranian cemeteries
- Poznan Marriage Indexing Project
- Roman Catholic Church Registers Online
- Church Registers Indexing - Lublin region
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Roman Catholic Church Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Poland, Tarnow Roman Catholic Diocese Church Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Polish vital records are becoming available online. However, there is no central online repository for these records. Use Księgi parafialne (Polish for “Church Books”) Portal to check availability of Polish records online. This Polish site lists, by province, every town that has vital records and/or indexes available online and links are included to get you there. As such, this site is only helpful once you’ve discovered the name of the town from which your ancestors came. Most of the websites are in Polish.
Click to enlarge map
Did you know?
Extensive extraction of Catholic Church records for the parishes of Medrzechow, Kupienin and Samocice, Poland have been completed and are available. For more information see the Polish Parish Extraction Project page.
News and Events
Finding records of your ancestors, Poland 1808 to 1900 is a color publication showing how to find records of a family who lived in Poland from 1808 to 1900. It tells you which records to use and how to search them. It also introduces you to the research tools you will need. A case study illustrates each step of the research process.
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
Polish vital records are becoming available online. Most of the websites are in Polish. There is no central online repository for these records. Genealogical societies are involved in indexing. Knowing where to look!
Polish Genealogical Society of America events
- This page was last modified on 1 May 2013, at 20:32.
- This page has been accessed 25,285 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More