Pike County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pike County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pike County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1821|
Pike County Kentucky Courthouse
324 Main Street
Pikeville, KY 41501-0631
Pike County Kentucky History
Pike County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Ashcamp||Fedscreek||Mayo Village||Robinson Creek|
|Beaver Bottom||Fords Branch||McAndrews||Rockhouse|
|Big Branch||Garden Village||McVeigh||Shelbiana|
|Board Tree||Greasy Creek||Mikegrady||Simers|
|Broad Bottom||Hardy||Mossy Bottom||Speight|
|Cedarville||Hellier||New Camp||Titan Siding|
|Coal Run Village||Henry Clay||Nigh||Toler|
|Elkhorn City||Lick Creek||Pleasant Valley||Yorktown|
- Buchanan County, Virginia
- Dickenson County, Virginia
- Mingo County, West Virginia
- Wise County, Virginia
Pike County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Pike Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Pike County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Pike County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Pike County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Pike County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Hatfield] Donnelly, Shirley. "Musicks Are Close Kin of Hatfield Clan," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Oct. 1965):76-78. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Hatfield] Hamlin, Charles Hughes. "Additional Hatfield Information," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr. 1966):44. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Pike County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pike County, Kentucky:
- - 2nd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company F, likely Company I.
- - 5th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Companies C, D, and L.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1839-1912 - Will Books A to B (1839-1912) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Pike County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517891 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Pike County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517892 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Pike County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517893 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Pike County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517891 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Pike County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517894 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Pike County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517895 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Pike County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Pike County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Pike County KYGenWeb
- Pike County USGenWeb Archives
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pike County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Pike County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pike County, Kentucky page 274, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 29 March 2013, at 22:57.
- This page has been accessed 5,837 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More