Ontario DirectoriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Directories of heads of households can help in locating individuals in a certain place, especially when their names do not appear in the censuses. Many city and county directories from the 1840s to the present are available. For example, the Family History Library has directories for:
|1846-47||film 862286 item 2|
|1859-60||film 862286 item 4|
|1914||film 1320735 item 2|
|1858|| fiche 6046560 |
The Family History Library also has microfilm copies of:
- The Canada Directory for 1857-1858. Montréal, Quebec: John Lovell, 1857. (Family History Library film 956166.) This lists tradesmen in cities in what is now Ontario and Quebec. For an alphabetical index to the Ontario portion, see:
- Wilson, Thomas B. and Emily S. Wilson. Directory of the Province of Ontario 1857 with a Gazeteer [sic]. Lambertville, New Jersey, USA: Hunterdon House, 1987. (Family History Library book 971.3 E4w.)
Many Ontario directories up to and including 1900 are available on microfiche:
- Pre-1900 Canadian Directories. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Institute for Historical Micro-reproductions, 1988. (On 4219 Family History Librry fiche beginning with 6360453.) Fiche do not circulate to Family History Centers.
Some Ontario directories are included in the material indexed in People of Ontario and Central Canadians described in Ontario Genealogy.
- Internet Archive Search: directories toronto
- This page was last modified on 26 September 2011, at 21:26.
- This page has been accessed 1,162 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More