Miami County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Miami County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Miami County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 2, 1832|
|Address|| Miami County Courthouse|
21 Court Street PO Box 184
Peru, IN 46970
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Schrock Cemetery, Peru BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Miami County, Indiana census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent Delinquent Census for Miami County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Churches of Miami County - INGenWeb
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Directory of Businesses in Miami County, Indiana (1858) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
March 1843 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- History of Miami Country - Linkpendium
- Biographical and Genealogical History of Cass, Miami, Howard and Tipton Counties, Indiana. (La Crosse WI: Brookhaven Press, 2003.)other libraryHathi Trust Digital Library
- History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present, with Biographical Sketches, Notes, Etc., Together with an Extended History of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana.(Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co, 1992.) 977.284 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries Google books
- Bakehorn, Ray. Early Birth, Marriage and Death Records of Miami County, Indiana. (s.l: s.n, 1900.) other libraryINTERNET ARCHIVE
- Bodurtha, Arthur L.History of Miami County, Indiana: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Its Principal Interests. (Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co, 2008.) 977.284 H2b FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collectionother libraries vol. 1 INTERNET ARCHIVEvol. 2 INTERNET ARCHIVE Google books
- Every Name Index to History of Miami County, IndianaEvery Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2008; original text by Brant & Fuller, 1887; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1970.EveryNameIndex.com
Land and Property
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military Record and Histories - Linkpendium
- Veterans in Miami County, Indiana (1913) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Miami County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Miami County.
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company A
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies L, and M
- 14th Battery, Indiana Light
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies F, and I
- 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A , and Reorganized Company H
- 21st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 26th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 51st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 87th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and I
- 109th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D, and F
- 134th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 138th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company A
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company A
- 142nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies I, and K
- 151st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, and D
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Book
World War I
World War II
Miami County Courthouse
21 Court Street PO Box 184
Peru, IN 46970
County Health Department has birth,
death and burial records,
County Clerk has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from 1843. 
Family History Centers
- Alumni of Peru High School (1922, 1930) - Indiana Genealogical Society ($)
- Students of Peru High School (1923, 1927, 1928, 1930) - Indiana Genealogical Society ($)
- Teachers of Peru High School (1923, 1927, 1930) - Indiana Genealogical Society ($)
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.com$
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959&-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb projectMay have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Miami County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History(Linkpendium)
- EveryNameIndex.comFree online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Miami County, Indiana 214 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- This page was last modified on 16 April 2013, at 21:51.
- This page has been accessed 2,529 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More