Lower Holloway, MiddlesexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Holloway Chapel of Ease (Islington) was built and established in the year 1814 and lies within the civil parish of St Mary Islington, Middlesex (which see). By about 1885, this chapel of ease was one of 13 such chapels built in the town. These chapels were:
- All Saints, Upper Holloway - 1885
- St Anne, Holloway - 1871
- St Barnabas, Holloway - 1866
- St David, West Holloway - 1869
- St George Holloway - 1867
- St Mark, Holloway - 1854
- St Mary Magdalene, Holloway Road - 1839
- St James Victoria Road - 1839
- St John the Evangelist,Pemberton Gardens Upper Holloway - 1828
- St Luke Penn Road, West Holloway - 1856
- St Paul, Kingsdown Road, Upper Holloway - 1870
- St Stephen, Upper Holloway - 1880
A Roman Catholic chapel was founded in 1869, an Independent chapel was built in 1867, a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1866; a New Methodist chapel, in 1867 along with several additional dissenting chapels having been built here.
"Lower Holloway. The junction of Hornsey and Holloway roads was known as Ring Cross by 1494, and had early settlement. Lower or Nether Holloway was recorded in 1553. The only medieval dwelling known to have existed away from the high road was called Cutlers in 1373 and was probably the site of Copenhagen House, so named by 1695. A house in 'Maid Lane' inhabited by Stephen Rolfe in 1467 may also have been in that part of the parish rather than farther north in Upper Holloway. In 1766-7 Joseph Pocock and Daniel Harrison built Paradise Row, a terrace of 31 houses, near the north end of the Back Road; far from other building at Pentonville and built long before Barnsbury was begun, it remained isolated until c. 1800. Individual villas and small terraces appeared in Holloway Road towards the end of the 18th century: by 1805 Ring Cross was linked with Lower Holloway by building along the north-east side of Holloway Road, and with Upper Street by buildings on both sides, with continual additions and infilling. On the south-west side of Ring Cross, George Pocock built several small streets on land belonging to Lord Northampton including George's Place and Cornwall Place c. 1800 and Independent Place, adjoining the latter, c. 1806. A water-proofing factory was at the bottom of Hornsey Road by 1801; the nonconformist Holloway chapel was built in 1804, with Holloway Place next to it. After land on the north-east side of the high road near Highbury Crescent was enfranchised in 1806, several houses were built, such as no. 72 Holloway Road in 1812, and houses to the south built by the mason and sculptor John Atkinson. By 1811 growth was such that the chapel of ease, completed 1814, was sited there between Holloway and the back roads, and the new parochial schools were built in the Back Road opposite the chapel grounds in 1815."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438780. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
- This page was last modified on 12 November 2012, at 21:03.
- This page has been accessed 329 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More