Llan-giwgEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The parish was divided into the hamlets of Alltgreig, Blaenegel, Caegurwen, and Mawr.
|pre 1536|| |
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Glamorgan|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996|| |
|from 1 April 1996|| |
What Do You Want to Find?
To start your search, decide when your ancestor lived. If he or she lived between 1837-1911, start by searching civil registration and census records. If they lived before 1837, use church records and probate records. Read more about these records below.
The parish of Llan-giwg formed part of the Neath Registrar's District. The 1841-1891 censuses are available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, and they are indexed on the following web sites:
- The following Llangiwg Parish Registers are available at the Family History Library
|Bishop Transcripts: Christenings, Marriages, Burials and Christenings and Burials||1685-1713; 1725-1834 1837-1866|
The Glamorgan Family History Society have published many of the parish registers.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following chapel records from Llan-giwg parish are available on the IGI:
|Cwmllynfell Chapel (Independent) Births and Baptisms||1760-1835|| |
The following chapel records have been deposited at an archive:
|Pant teg||Christenings 1822-1837||TNA RG4 3495 FHL 813540|
Births, marriages and deaths in Llan-giwg will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||
- Carmel: transcript at West Glamorgan Archives
- Cwmllynfell (old & new)
- Gwrhyd: transcript & index published by Glamorgan Family History Society
- Llan-giwg parish church (publication of transcript and index expected in 2013)
- Saron Chapel (old & new): transcript & index published by Glamorgan Family History Society
Poor Law Union
- In the Footsteps of Saints and Sinners: Llangiwg Church past, present and future by D. Gerald O. James
- The History of Pontardawe by J.E. Morgan
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2012, at 14:19.
- This page has been accessed 525 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More