Lancaster St John, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St John the Evangelist's Church, Lancaster, is a redundant Anglican church in North Road, Lancaster, Lancashire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Lancaster St. John's church, was built by subscription in 1755. It was completely repaired in 1836. It stood within the parish boundaries and city borough of Lancaster.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Lancaster St John chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Lancaster St Mary to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|LANCASTER ST JOHN Chapelry (1755) Indexes|
|LANCASTER ST MARY'S(ancient parish containing LANCASTER ST JOHN Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Lancaster St John and comprising the whole ancient parish of Lancaster St Mary to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the LANCASTER ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306936. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 31 December 2012, at 04:47.
- This page has been accessed 233 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More