Kedington, Essex and SuffolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Kedington, or Ketton, is a village and a parish in Risbridge district; the village and most of the parish is in Suffolk, but part of it is in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 1/2 miles ENE of Haverhill railway station. The parish contains also Brockley Green, Great Wilseys, and the Risbridge workhouse. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Kedington is an Ancient Parish in the counties of Suffolk and Essex.
- Parish Registers begin in 1654
- Bishop Transcripts begin in 1564
Additional places included in this parish are Great Wilsey and Brockley Green.
a. Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474641. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- This page was last modified on 24 May 2013, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 504 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More