Italy PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most genealogical and historical societies in North America and in Italy publish magazines and newsletters.
The articles often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews. *Research advertisements. *
Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
North American Periodicals
A few historical and genealogical societies publish periodicals focusing on the Italian immigrants to North America. These are often published quarterly and may focus on the emigrants to a particular region or state.
- POINTers: The American Journal of Italian Genealogy. Published by POINT (Pursuing Our Italian Names Together), P.O. Box 14966 Las Vegas, Nevada 89114-4966. 1987–. (FHL book US/CANADA 973 D25po.)
- Comunes of Italy. Published by L&G Merchandise, Inc., 2709 Arctic Avenue, Altlantic City, NJ 08401. 1998-. (FHL book US/CANADA 945 D25c).
- Italian Genealogical Group [newsletter]. Published by the Italian Genealogical Group, P.O. Box 626, Bethpage, NY 11714-0626, 1994-. (FHL book US/CANADA 974.7 D25i)
A helpful list of periodicals published in Italy is:
- Stolp, Gertrude Nobile. Cataloghi a stampa di periodici delle biblioteche italiane (1859–1967): bibliografia descrittiva (Descriptive bibliography of periodicals in Italian libraries). Firenze: Leo S. Olschki, 1968. (FHL book EUROPE 945 B23s.)
LOMBARDY (region) - Lombardy: newspapers from the 19th Century and 20th Century -Emeroteca Digitale Braidense
CUNEO (province) - The Ministero per i Beni Culturali, through the Piedmont Region, has invested 250,000 Euros in a microfilming, digitization and online storage of the major newspapers collection of the old province of Cuneo, which was conducted during 2006 -2008.
EMILIA ROMAGNA - Il Comune di Bologna - a monthly magazine published between 1924 and 1939.
PERUGIA - Biblioteca Digitale Augusta (digital emeroteca)
PIEDMONT (and Italy) - La Stampa (literally “The Press”) is one of the best-known, most influential and most widely sold Italian daily newspapers. Published in Turin, it is distributed in Italy and other European nations. Digital newspaper archive 1867-2005.
TOSCANA (region) - Emeroteca Virtuale Toscana
TOSCANA (region) - P0LO, Biblioteca Universitaria di Pisa. Digitized Newspapers.
ROMA - Biblioteca Universitaria Alessandrina - Newspapers andMagazines
TRIESTE - TRIPEDI Trieste digitized newspapers
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve.
The Family History Library subscribes to many Italian periodicals. These are listed in the Family History Library Catalog in several ways. If you know the title of a periodical, look in the Author/Title Search.
To find periodicals in the Locality Search, look for:
ITALY- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
ITALY - HISTORY- PERIODICALS
ITALY- PERIODICALS ITALY- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
ITALY - [PROVINCE] - HISTORY- PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - [TOWN] - GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
ITALY - [PROVINCE] - [TOWN] - HISTORY- PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - [TOWN] - PERIODICALS
ITALY- [PROVINCE] - [TOWN] - SOCIETIES-
PERIODICALS [STATE]- GENEALOGY-
PERIODICALS [STATE]- HISTORY- PERIODICALS [STATE]-
PERIODICALS [STATE]- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
For more information, see also Italy Societies.
- Duke University Libraries: Italian Periodicals (1,845 electronic records) Dates range from 1792 to 1943.
- This page was last modified on 3 October 2011, at 00:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,138 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More