Help:Developing A U.S. County PageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
Visit the Wiki Help Forum as you have questions.
All US Counties have at least a stub (an outline with minimal information); and most could use additional information. Go to the counties that you are familiar with. Do you know of information that is not there that would help others researching in that county? To find your county site, click here, then click on the state (on the map) and then the county on the alphabetized list of counties.
Following is list of sites where you might find county-specific information that you could add to your county page, as well as general links you might wish to include as further research resources.
- United States
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wee Monster Genealogy Webpages
- ProGenealogist ~part of this site is free~
- US GenWeb
- Genealogy Links
- State Archives
- The Online Books Page, Click on Books Online, click on Subjects at the bottom of the page.
- One Step ~ Stephen P. Morse
- Olive Tree Genealogy
- Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books ~ In the search widow type in a subject or surname.
- FamilyHistory 101
- Ancestry.com ~pay for site~ free patron use in most Family History Centers
- Footnote.com ~pay for site~ free patron use in most Family History Centers
- Heritagequest.com ~pay for site~ free patron use in most Family History Centers
The following list includes suggestions of sites where you might find county-specific information to use on your pages, as well as general links you might wish to include as further research resources.
- African American Research
- AfriGeneas – African American Genealogy
- USGenWeb African American Griots Project
- Freedmen's Bureau Online
- African American Genealogy Records on the Internet
- Indians of the Untied States and Their Records
- Online Native American Indian Genealogy Records & Databases
Archives and Libraries
- United States Archives and Libraries
- Libraries.com ~Lists public libraries by state/county~
- Family History Centers
- WorldCat Library Catalog
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
- Nathional Archives and Records Administration
- Search University library catalogs for your county name and the word "biography"
- Search NNDB for state
- Check the list at Citizendium
- Search Google for your county name and the word "biography"
- Internet Lib Biographies
- United States Cemeteries
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ search on your county USGenWeb
- Interment.net ~ Cemetery listing and transcriptions ~ Search on your county
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Find-A-Grave ~ search by locations
- About.com Genealogy ~ Cemeteries Online
- United States Census
- List any transcriptions available, including those at paid sites, but indicate that it requires a paid subscription i.e. 1930 Smith County Census - Ancestry.com ~pay for site~ free patron use in most Family History Centers
- Check USGenWeb Archives Project ~ Search by location ~
- United States Church Records
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Church Records Project
- Search at Church Directory of the United States
- Search at Net Ministries
- Search at USA Church
- Yellowbook Business, People Search, Reverse lookup
- Google "church and your county name"
County Commissioner's Records
- United States Directories
- US City Directories
- Distant Cousins Have actual directories scanned for many states
Emigration and Immigration
- United States History
- Google Books Search for you County Name. This site has a large colleciton of digitized books.
- Family History Archives
- BYU Digital Collections
- Search University Library Catalogs
Land and Property
Law and Legislation
- United States Maps
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- Historic Map Works .... largeset collection of historic maps ~pay for site~ free patron use in most Family History Centers
- USGenWeb Digital Map Library
- The Online Books
- My Census Maps
- U. S. Federal Census Maps
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Georgraphy & Map Reading Room
- Google Maps
- United States Military Records
- The Civil War Home Page
- Civil War
- The History Place - Civil War Timeline
- War of 1812
- WWI Document Archive
- World War II Records
- U. S. National Archives and Records Administration. Finding Information on Personal Participation in WWII
Naturalization and Citizenship
- United States Newspapers
- Newspapers.com for listings
- OnlineNewspapers for listing
- United States Newspaper List
- Library of Congress Chronicling America
- Penn Libraries Historical Newspapers Online
- U. S. Newspaper Program
- GenealogyBank ~pay for site~
- Newspaperarchive ~pay for site~
- Refer to census listings
- About.com a Glossary of Old Occupations and Trades
- United States Periodicals
- Check Ancestry.com Periodical List
- Check PERSI ~largest index of genealogic periodicals~
- Check Local History and Genealogy Reading Room from the National Government
- Check the USGenWeb Archives Project for your county for Bible records, etc.
- Check the USGenWeb County site for donated records ~Find county links on state page, state URLs are on U.S. site.
- United States Societies
- Historical Societies ~Listing your state~
- Federation of Genealogical Societies ~Listing by state~
- Do a Google search for your county and "tax list"
- United States Vital Records
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~by state/county~
- Search google for state/county and the term "births," "deaths," "marriages" and "divorces."
- Family History Historical Records - Search for any collections relative to your state/county.
- Family History Library Catalog - Search by county.
- Online Searchable Death Indexes & Records
- Your website
- USGenWeb County and State listings ~state listings can be found on US site~
- Family Search Catalog
- NARA - National Archives and Records Administration
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~Search your county~
- This page was last modified on 24 July 2012, at 09:03.
- This page has been accessed 978 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More