Hanmer, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The village takes its name from the lake in Gredington Park, Hagena's Mere, although the identity of Hagena remains unknown.
References suggest that a church existed in Hanmer from about 1110. It was at this church, around 1383, that Marged Hanmer married Owain Glyndŵr.
This church was destroyed in 1463, during the Wars of the Roses, but was later rebuilt. However, in 1889, this church was destroyed in a fire.
The ancient parish of Hanmer consisted of the townships of:
- Bettisfield (Welsh: Llys Bedydd)
The parish lies in the easternmost part of the Maelor Saesneg and is surrounded in the main by England.
In 1836, the township of Bronington formed the new parish of Bronington. In 1879, most of the township of Bettisfield formed the new parish of Bettisfield. In 1948, parts of the townships of Tybroughton and Willington formed the new parish of Tallarn Green.
Hanmer has been associated with the Kenyon family, of Gredington, since the 15th century.
|until 31 March 1974||Flintshire (detached)|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Hanmer formed part of the Ellesmere Registrar's District.
The following Hanmer Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Record Office in Hawarden:
|Baptisms||1563 - 1960|
|Marriages:||1563 - 1837|
|Burials||1563 - 1935|
The records are incomplete however, many having been destroyed in the fire of 1889.
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Hanmer parish registers.
- Copies of the Bishop's Transcripts of the Hanmer parish records have been microfilmed by the LDS church.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Hanmer parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
There are no official records available on the IGI for Hanmer parish.
The parish of Hanmer formed part of the Hanmer sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Hanmer will appear as Ellesmere in the GRO Indexes.
Poor Law Union
The parish of Hanmer became part of the Ellesmere Union when it was created on 14 November 1836. The workhouse was built in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
- Ordnance Survey map of Hanmer
- Hanmer Parish Church at CPAT
- Hanmer War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Hanmer Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Hanmer Parish Church at the Open Church Network
- Hanmer Parish Church at Sacred Space
- Owain Glyndŵr - The Hanmer Connection
- This page was last modified on 24 May 2013, at 11:07.
- This page has been accessed 1,295 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More