Greene County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Georgia|
Location in the state of [[Georgia]]
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 3, 1786|
|Address|| Greene County Courthouse|
113 N Main
Greensboro, GA 30642-1109
Greene County Website
Probate Court has marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce records from 1790,
court and land; records from 1785; County Health
Department has birth records from 1927
Local histories are available for Greene County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
1787 -- town burned by Indians For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- 1866-1875 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1866-1875. Batch M712965 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1877 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1875-1877. Batch M712964 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878-1883 - Greene County Colored Marriage Index 1878-1883. Batch M712968 at FamilySearch - free.
Bethany Presbyterian Church
- 1841-1885 - Bethany Presbyterian Church Baptism Index 1841-1885. Batch C712969 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1895 - Bethany Presbyterian Church Marriage Index 1841-1895. Batch M712969 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greene County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
1811 Greene County Tax Digest (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1785-1873 - Greene County Marriage Index 1785-1873. Batch M712961 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1786-1849 - Greene County Marriage Index 1786-1849. Batch M712962 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1877 - Greene County Marriage Index 1849-1877. Batch M712963 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1891 - Greene County Marriage Index 1877-1891. Batch M712966 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1895 - Greene County Marriage Index 1891-1895. Batch M712967 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-50, 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Greene County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greene County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2013, at 04:23.
- This page has been accessed 1,819 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More