Greece SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are many societies and organizations that may have information of value to your research. There are a few such societies in Greece, the United States, and other countries and areas where Greeks emigrated, such as Egypt, South Africa, South America, Europe, and Australia.
Most of these societies publish helpful periodicals, transcripts, and compiled genealogies, and they may have special indexes, collections, and projects. They may publish queries about Greek ancestors or maintain a list of members’ research interests. Some specialize in the immigrants to a specific area. You may find it helpful to join one of these societies and support their efforts.
The following societies may be of interest:
- Historical and Ethnological Society
- Heraldic and Genealogical Society of Greece
3rd Septemvriou Street #56, Mouseion
(Offices are open only on Thursdays 6–8 P.M.
Note:Time in Greece is 7 hours ahead of eastern time, and 9 hours ahead of mountain time.
- The addresses of many ethnic heritage historical societies in North America are given in:
- Smith, Betty P. Directory: Historical Agencies in North America. 13th Edition. Nashville, Tennessee, USA: American Association for State and Local History, 1986. (FHL book 970 H24d 1986)
- Wheeler, Mary Bray, ed. Directory of Historical Organizations in the United States and Canada. 14th Edition. Nashville, Tennessee, USA: American Association for State and Local History, 1990. (FHL book 970 H24d 1990)
Many regional societies in Greece are groups where people from a town or region associate and get news of others from the same area. For example, the society for Greeks from Pelasgia (Syllogos Pelasgioton) is located in Athens. Pelasgia is a town in the county Fthiotidos. There is also a society of Greeks from Fthiotidos (Syllogos Fthioton) county located in Athens. There are also societies of Greek immigrants who came from various localities in Greece. Identifying immigrant Greek societies from a particular region or town of Greece can be difficult. You can contact the Greek embassy for possible addresses of such groups. For example, there are organizations for Greeks from Kythira or Sparta. Additional information on societies and other sources of information about Greece are in:
- Wasserman, Paul, and Alice E. Kennington, eds., Ethnic Information Sources of the United States. Second Edition. Detroit, Michigan, USA: Gale Research Company, 1983 (FHL Ref 973 F24w).
- This page was last modified on 19 May 2011, at 00:45.
- This page has been accessed 753 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More