Franklin County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Franklin County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin County, Mississippi|
| Map of Mississippi highlighting Franklin County|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Address|| P O Box 297|
Meadville, MS 39653
Brief History (Pre-1817) of Franklin County, Mississippi, USGenWeb for Franklin County, Mississippi
- 01 Mar 1808 Mississippi Territory authorized the creation of Franklin County from Wilkinson County, but the creation never took effect and it was not mapped. (HRS Miss., St. and Co., 17)
- 21 Dec 1809 Franklin was created by the Mississippi Territory from Adams, Amite, and Wilkinson counties. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 97)
- 22 Dec 1809 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 03 Dec 1810 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. FRANKLIN boundary with WILKINSON was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 09 Dec 1811 FRANKLIN lost to creation of MARION. (Miss. Terr. Stat., pp. 104-105)
- 12 Feb 1819 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1819, 1st sess., p. 14)
- 29 Jun 1822 FRANKLIN gained from JEFFERSON. (Miss. Laws 1821-1822, 5th sess. adj., p. 274)
- 21 Jan 1823 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON and lost to creation of COPIAH. (Miss. Laws 1822-1823, 6th sess., ch. 36/p. 100 and ch. 49, secs. 1, 7/pp. 117-118)
- 07 Apr 1870 FRANKLIN lost to creation of LINCOLN. FRANKLIN boundary with AMITE was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Laws 1870, reg. sess., ch. 55, secs. 1-2, 8/pp. 129, 132)
- 10 May 1871 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1871, reg. sess., ch. 264/p. 647)
- 04 Apr 1873 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1873, reg. sess., ch. 50/p. 202)
- 09 Feb 1875 FRANKLIN gained from LINCOLN. (Miss. Laws 1875, reg. sess., ch. 29/p. 56)
See Mississippi: Individual County Chronologies, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
1877--Some records were lost.
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Family Maps of Franklin County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Franklin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Franklin County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Stockdale Rangers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Franklin Rifles
- Company K - Quitman Rifles
- Company E - Franklin Beauregards
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1816-1899 - Marriages On-Line Index: Franklin County, Mississippi. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1818-1928 - Franklin County Marriage Books 1-6 Index 1818-1928 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 21:42.
- This page has been accessed 1,778 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More