Finland HeraldryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In early times coats of arms were common only among the noble class. Since the Finnish nobility was part of the Swedish nobility, most of the coats of arms for the noble families of Finland can be found in Swedish heraldic sources. They are listed
in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
SWEDEN - HERALDRY
A Swedish heraldry work that includes Finnish coats of arms in color is the following five-volume set:
- Stjernstedt, A. W. Sveriges ridderskaps och adels Wapenbok (Swedish Coats of Arms of Knights and Nobility). 5 vols. Stockholm: Lewertin & Sjöstedt, 1865–79. (FHL book 948.5 D6s)
A guide to heraldic terminology in Scandinavia, including Finnish language terms, can be found in:
- Raneke, Jan. Nordisk heraldisk terminologi (Nordic Heraldic Terminology). Sverige: Svenska nationalkommittén för genealogi och heraldik, 1987. (FHL book 948 D6n)
You can find more information about Scandinavian and Finnish heraldry in articles published in:
- Heraldisk Tidsskrift (Heraldic Periodical). København: Societas Heraldical Scandinavica, 1960–. (FHL book 948 D65h)
- This page was last modified on 1 December 2012, at 08:19.
- This page has been accessed 789 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More