FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Sep 26Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
- Problem with the CSS - bullets and lines in tables don't show. Engineers are aware.
- Starting a wiki council. Check it out, and sign up if interested.
News and Events
- October 19-20, 2013 ICAPGen Conference
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 12 Sept
Today: Progress reports; Utah page; how to find birth information; Church Records.
Progress reports 10 minutes
- Report of Recruiting questionnaire for UGA Fall Conference in Sandy last week
- About 100 flyers distributed (Show the flyer)
- As of 9 a.m. Tuesday, no recruits through survey nor email.
- Learnings: most were pretty much interested in genealogy, and more the type to benefit from the Wiki than to contribute to it. Teaching the Wiki at such a conference would be more beneficial than trying to recruit volunteers.
- UGA is willing to give a UGA membership or a few passes to evening lectures for SLIG or to one of UGA's regional conferences.
- Suggestion: put it on the UGA website in color. Talk with Bud Wood
Birth task: Doing in two segments:
- Lois has finish the birth sections before civil birth records were created.
- Liz is in process with the 1898-present segment. Several counties have been posted already.
From previous meetings:
- Neighboring counties clickable maps: ongoing
- History timelines progress (Marty)
- Get documentation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Pat
- Do the county newspaper pages - Wilma
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
If time permits after each area is covered, can revisit any of these topics.
Utah Page 15 minutes
This is really something that CAN make a big difference to the Wiki overall. The Thursday group expects to be part of the discussion and brainstorming.
In the meeting, several suggestions were given to Jana. We really like the concept.
- Take the years off. They will be given when they click.
- Four categories: Parents, Birth, Marriage, Death. Also want four images
- Discussed changing the "Someone to Help Me" wording. Also had ideas for what that next page would contain:
- Hiring a professional
- Link to the FS Support
- (more, but I didn't get them)
How to find Birth Information pages 15 minutes
If James is here, we will discuss this.
- Two categories of strategies were suggested: 1) for finding specific elements of birth information, such as parents; 2) for finding the various types of records, such as military records.
- Another type of strategy came to mind after the meeting: 3) analysis of the contents of specific records
- James explored and found strategies quite lacking in the Wiki.
Church Records 15 minutes
Church Records Refine the "pattern" for towns with church records (for any religion, but based on LDS)
- Several changes were suggested. Some were made on the spot. To finalize next week.
Summary of minutes:
Ideas we won't forget
- Tip Bank
- This page was last modified on 23 January 2013, at 03:36.
- This page has been accessed 201 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More