FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 November 21Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. It is fixed, but won't be implemented until the next release. No idea when that will be, but there is some hope.
- Follow-up on committee to standardize all state pages. Nathan Murphy would like to hear about our Beginner's Corner.
News and Events
- November 15, 2012 The Basics of DNA Testing for Genealogy with Diahan Southard, Molecular Genealogist. UGA virtual meeting, 3rd Thursday each month. Did anyone attend?
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 14 Nov
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Not ready to move to the counties. Liz and group:
- LDS Church records table: Show the phases
- Task to adapt the pattern page: Sister Jewkes, Jeff, Joy, Bo, Cathy and Elizabeth have been trained -- and flying through them!
- Task to add timelines from Jensen's: Marty and Bo will focus on Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, St. George, Logan, Bountiful, Odgen to start.
- Beginner's corner: Nathan and team working on state-level pages would like to see the ideas.
- Wilma contact Joy about image approving -- especially for those already submitted: princess file sepia, clipper ship, baby one
- SEO (Search Engine Optimizer) Beaver County, Utah :
- Need to have Steve Cottrel create a template, since there are so many links in it to the same county.
- Jeff, Joan, Laurie, Jason
- Does this remove our need for the table at the top? No, don't remove the table
- Images: we want a gallery of images, especially some that are iconic to the county. Scenery, aerial views of towns, Joy has checked with KSL for some of their weather-related images, Utah State Archives or Library, BYU collection of historical photos online; Gallery one picture where you can flip through or separate page of typical photos. Can a direct link to a 3 dimensional, like Google Earth.
- Review citation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Done last time. Thanks Pat!
- Pat needs a stillbirth from 1942-1960
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records: An email was sent about the great progress James is making on these pages. Was also discussed in the past Thursday community meeting.
- Points out huge gaps - such as early immigrants, etc. Showing mostly UK roots rather than other
- It is a great page to keep gathering articles, perhaps to organize sections not just rely on page names.
- As anyone writes an article, they should put it on the list.
- Suggest a topic for wiki articles
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
From previous meetings (no progress):
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in last meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, and others with large compilations..
- Maps follow-up: Marilyn will check with Jason Harrison and David Dilts for what they are doing. Results:
- Suggestion from last meeting not yet implemented: Newberry atlas of historical county boundaries.
- Oldmapsonline.org draw a square around the area; USGS.gov maps digitizing them
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
Minimum information for each topic:
- Per project leaders meeting (Oct 23) and group meeting (Oct 31)
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections Done by Jana early Nov.
"Boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
- Ideas per group meeting Oct 31
- UGA Patsy can get zips of UGA members and contact for their interest
- FHCs in area - do they know someone they can suggest?
- Libraries in area
- ULA - Pat can email everyone asking for help
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.
- This page was last modified on 21 November 2012, at 16:50.
- This page has been accessed 215 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More