FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 December 19Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
Meeting Participants: After asking James, he replied, "I am still very much in pain and unable to do much at all." I'll put his name on the prayer roll today.
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. Are we giving up hope?
News and Events
- Jan 17: What's New in FamilySearch Family Tree Don R Anderson. UGA Virtual Chapter.
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
Discussion Cemeteries area. Some suggestions to headings were recorded on in that area.
An overview of LDS Church Records tasks and progress was given.
- Jana has suggested putting COUNTY online badges on the county page in place of the state Online collections badge.
- Steps: Jana will prepare so others (Liz and I at least) can do it.
- Beginner's corner? Probably nothing until early next year that the "state pages" team meets.
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Thanks, Liz, for your ideas and hard work.
- Color, since we don't have table borders?
- Salt Lake County LDS Church records
- Exciting breakthrough! Link to FHLC for stakes
- Want an uncopyrighted map of SLC (1923 or before). Purpose--to make a clickable map of stakes per Jenson's (about 1930)
- Pat suggested the ward maps; James said Sanborn maps back in 1800's -- Historic Map Works.com; Pat will look on Church History and BYU. OldMapsOnline.org - a portal to about 35,000 maps; David Dilts has done a lot with maps - he might know of some. City directories? 1888 SLC and vicinit with wards; 1920 also that is divided -- See Pat.
- Stake won't work for unit stopped before 1908, or oganized after 1917. Pat.
- Comparisons: Cache County; Box Elder County
- Report to UGA re:Utah Wiki Project done by Patsy. Summary of accomplishments mentioned:
- FS Historical Collections and Ancestry.com updated on counties
- How to Find Birth Information in Utah
- SEO paragraphs
- Experimental County page
- Project end: If we get volunteers, hoping they have something others can add before we quit.
- UGA members invited to help
- Proposal: meet monthly if needed. Wilma can't on Jan 2, so meet Jan 9. Decide then when/if next meeting.
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records (If James is back)
- Record selection table
- Wilma will focus soon on Library section, then Deaths, then Marriages.
From previous meetings:
- Gallery of images: Joy and I talked about this. Need a process, so others can submit images of the various counties and we won't have to maintain it. (More discussion in Nov 21 meeting. Get with Joy about those suggestions.)
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in last meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, and others with large compilations..
- Maps follow-up: Marilyn will check with Jason Harrison and David Dilts for what they are doing. Results:
- Suggestion from last meeting not yet implemented: Newberry atlas of historical county boundaries.
- Oldmapsonline.org draw a square around the area; USGS.gov maps digitizing them
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
Minimum information for each topic:
- Per project leaders meeting (Oct 23) and group meeting (Oct 31)
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections Done by Jana early Nov.
"Boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
- Ideas per group meeting Oct 31
- UGA Patsy can get zips of UGA members and contact for their interest
- FHCs in area - do they know someone they can suggest?
- Libraries in area
- ULA - Pat can email everyone asking for help
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.
- This page was last modified on 19 December 2012, at 16:38.
- This page has been accessed 163 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More