East Ham, EssexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to East Ham, Essex family history and genealogy. Parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
East Ham also known as Ham, East (St. Mary Magdalene), is a parish, in the union of West Ham, the hundred of Becontree, southern division of Essex, it is 6 miles E from London. There is a Lady chapel as well as a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
St Mary Magdalene
High St South
Burials 1700-1960: ERO
Baptisms 1960- date
Marriages 1982- date
Burials 1960-1975: Not deposited
Marriages 1946-1952: ERO
Marriages 1903-1977: ERO
Baptisms 1952- date
Marriages 1977- date: Not deposited
St George and St Ethelbert
Marriages 1924-1967: ERO
Baptisms 1955- date
Marriages 1967- date: Not deposited
St John the Baptist
High Street North
Marriages 1871-1902: ERO
St Michael and All Angels
Marriages 1924-1941: ERO
Baptisms 1924- date
Marriages 1925- date: Not deposited
Primitive Methodist Chapel
High St. South
Marriages 1913-1940: ERO
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Baptisms 1893-1904: ERO
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241361. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England Wales, (1870) Adapted 17 May 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 20 May 2013, at 22:01.
- This page has been accessed 573 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More