Denmark PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most genealogical and historical societies in North America and in Denmark publish magazines and newsletters. The articles often include:
|You Can Use this Record to Find...|
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
Many Danish societies and organizations publish genealogical periodicals. These are in Danish. Much of their content is devoted to compiled genealogies of native families and local history. They also publish queries or advertisements for genealogical information. The following are some major examples:
- Personalhistorisk Tidskrift (Periodical and Serial of Personal History). 1880-. Published by the Samfundet for Dansk-Norsk Genealogi og Personalhistorie. After 1930, published by Samfundet for Dansk Genealogi og Personal-historie. (FHL book 948.9 D25p; film 1,124,566.)
- Fortid og Nutid. (The Past and the Present). 1914-. Published by the Dansk historisk Fællesforening, Rigsarkivet, Rigsdagsgarden 9, 1218 København K, Denmark. (FHL book 948.9 H25fn.)
- Hvem Forsker Hvad (Who's Researching What). 1969-. Published by the Samfundet for Dansk Genealogi og Personalhistorie, Christian Xs Vej 27, 8260 Viby J, Denmark. (FHL book 948.9 D25h.)
In addition, excellent state and regional publications are available.
Many magazines have annual or cumulative indexes. For example, Personalhistorisk Tidskrift has a cumulative index. These indexes can be helpful in locating articles on local history or specific surnames.
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve.
The Family History Library subscribes to some Danish periodicals. These are listed in the catalog in several ways. If you know the title, search the Author/Title section. To find periodicals in the Place search, use the following approaches:
DENMARK - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
DENMARK - HISTORY - PERIODICALS
DENMARK - PERIODICALS
DENMARK - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
DENMARK, [COUNTY] - [SAME HEADINGS AS ABOVE]
DENMARK, [COUNTY], [CITY] - [SAME HEADINGS AS ABOVE]
Also see the "Societies" section.
- This page was last modified on 7 December 2012, at 22:47.
- This page has been accessed 1,473 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More