Crow Wing Indian Subagency (Minnesota)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Crow Wing Subagency was established in 1835 for the Chippewa Indians of the upper Mississippi Valley, previously under the jurisdiction of the Mackinac Agency and the Sault Ste. Marie Agency. Its headquarters was at the American Fur Company trading post at the mouth of Crow Wing River. When that trading post was closed in 1837, the subagent operated from the St. Peters Agency near Fort Snelling. This subagency was discontinued in 1839 and its duties transferred to the La Pointe Subagency.
Agents and Appointment Dates
James B. Dallam September 11, 1835, William Sinn May 28, 1836, and Myles M. Vineyard February 22, 1837 
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Crow Wing Subagency, 1835-1840, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Roll 249. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll number 1660979.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 56.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.American Indian Subagencies
- This page was last modified on 3 January 2013, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 405 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More